Sunday, September 02, 2012

Mysterious Redness

This past Thursday I was putting some crap back in the carport post Hurricane Isaac. Afterward, I went back into the house to cool off and wash my hands. I then noticed that there was a strange reddish patch on the side of my left hand between my pinky finger and my wrist. It looked like a burn but it didn't hurt or itch and it wasn't a different texture than the rest of my skin. It sorta looked like a stain. I know I didn't get bitten by anything and thought perhaps it was an allergic reaction to something that I had touched.

The next day, Friday, when I woke up I noticed that there were more reddish-brown marks on my left hand, this time at the base of my thumb and in-between my fingers by the knuckles,and a small mark near my wrist. That's when I started to get very concerned. So I consulted the internet.

I found a lot of people have had similar experiences but no one seems to know what it is. The most popular explanations are contact dermatitis or a sluggish liver. After the discoloration near my thumb appeared, it occurred to me that I've had this happen before in the same location by my thumb, except when it happened before I figured I had burned myself somehow.

It's a very strange thing. I put some of my mother's prescription steroidal skin cream on it and it had no effect. Hydrocortizone cream had no effect. I put some tea tree oil on it last night and this morning it looked a little faded, but that could just be that it's going away on its own, although I'm continuing to put the tea tree oil on it. The tea tree oil doesn't smell so bad once the initial turpentine scent wears off.

So now I'm thinking that perhaps it is a congested liver. I've been eating some fried food and fatty things lately and I just cooked a turkey a few days ago so I've been eating that. Maybe my liver *is* taxed. I guess I'll have to look up one of those liver cleanse things. Oh well, I guess it's best to catch these things while you're still young-ish.

6 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Well, that sounds a little worrying. I can't imagine what it might be either. Is the discoloration still there? Has it changed?

I'm really thinking you should see a doctor for this. If it spreads that quickly you may need to be quick about treating it effectively.

On a more pleasant note, how was you Labor Day?

Monday, September 03, 2012 4:44:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Not to worry, my dear Arekino! I, not being one to give up until I get my answer, decided to do a bit more digging on the internet last night. This time I decided to do some image searches and voila! I found some pics that looked like what I have and followed them to their corresponding websites to get my answer! It seems that I have something called phytophotodermatitis. It's a bit like I had imagined the problem to be, that I had touched something and got a reaction. Well, not too far off. It's caused by a UV sensitive plant chemical. The most notorious culprit is ye olde Persian lime. I had been picking limes the day before and holding them in my left hand. After I put the limes in the house, I went about putting the crap back in the carport. It was a sunny day and I got lots of exposure. So the next day I woke up with the hyperpigmentation after the lime juice and UV sunlight worked their magic. Now I'm stuck with some nasty looking marks for maybe a few weeks until they fade away. :(
Oh well, at least it's not something serious.

how was you Labor Day? Rather laborious. I grilled my steaks yesterday(they were very delicious!)and then today I trimmed all the hedges around the yard. It was hot but not ridiculously so. What have you been up to besides the baby sitting?

Monday, September 03, 2012 8:16:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

at least it's not something serious.

Hopefully. You do realise you don't have a diagnosis yet? You have a theory. This allows you to make predictions. To test this theory you have to recreate the theoretical cause - a combination of Persian lime and sunlight. If this creates the same discoloration then your theory is likely to be correct.

Alternatively you could go see a doctor.

What have you been up to besides the baby sitting?

In a sense, more babysitting. Two of my nephews have come down with a bit of a cold (or the remnants of it) so they spend a couple of days with us (instead of going to school).

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Oh, Arekino, don't be a scold! LOL I'm sure it's the phytophotodermatitis. It makes perfect sense. It presents about 24 hours after contact and exposure to sunlight. It's a fascinating chemical reaction. There have got to be practical applications as well as not so practical ones!

Alternatively you could go see a doctor. I have to take my mother to see her doctor tomorrow so maybe I'll ask him. ;)

Well, I hope your nephews are feeling better soon. It sucks being sick.

How's the weather over there? Is it still hot or are you starting to see the beginnings of autumn?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

so maybe I'll ask him

There's no harm in that, it seems.

Is it still hot or are you starting to see the beginnings of autumn?

Kinda both. It's still quite sunny but there's also a cool northern breeze blowing now and again. It's pretty much the best weather of the year. How's Florida's weather faring after Isaac?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

How's Florida's weather faring after Isaac? It was rainy for a couple days until the storm totally cleared out and then after that it has been rather sunny but hot and a bit humid. We still are in a summer pattern--hot and humid with scattered thunderstorms(had a quick one blow through just a while ago, now it's sunny again). September is the last month of the peak of hurricane season so after this month the chances of having a hurricane go down dramatically. Hopefully the hot weather will end early this year.

there's also a cool northern breeze blowing now and again I would love to have some cool northern breezes! :)

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home