Tuesday, August 07, 2012

My Girls



Today, my girls, the US women's soccer team, played the Canadians in their semifinal game. I got to watch most of the first half and then I had to take my mother to her doctor's appointment. (I broke out my old Mia Hamm jersey to wear while I was out.) Well, when I left for the appointment, the Americans were down 1-0 and I was most unhappy. When I got to the doctor's office, they had some Olympics programming on but not the soccer game since that was on cable. I was really pissed because I figured the game would be over by the time I got home.

Fast-forward to when I get home: to my surprise, the first 15 minutes of overtime was just about to end and to my relief the score was tied 3-3. Second overtime starts and it was a very nerve-wracking thing to watch. The Americans were looking much fitter than the Canadians and I was praying that one of my girls would score because deciding a game on penalty kicks sucks ass big-time and I hate to see games decided like that. Well, I got my wish! With maybe 30 seconds left in stoppage time, Alex Morgan, who played her ass off in my opinion, got the game winner with a beautiful header! I was screaming at the TV with great joy and I could hear my mother downstairs saying something sarcastic about it to the dog.

Anyway, now my girls play Japan for the gold. I really like the Japanese team. They play hard as a team and with good sportsmanship; I kinda hate to root against them.

7 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

That's one of those things with soccer. Sometimes nothing much happens but there's always the feeling that anything could happen. And sometimes it does just that.

Is soccer getting more popular these days in the USA? I always get the impression that Americans kind of look down on it.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

It's too bad I missed most of the game. From the highlights it looked like one hell of a game.

Is soccer getting more popular these days in the USA? It has gained popularity amongst girls in the last 10 years or so because of the US women's national team winning lots of World Cup championships and Olympic gold medals. I always get the impression that Americans kind of look down on it. American men don't like it. They prefer American football with big, overgrown and musclebound cretins mincing around in spandex tights and padding and tackling each other and smacking each other on the ass. Because there's nothing homoerotic about that. :sarc: Soccer is for homos. :sarc: *rolls eyes*

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

HOLY SHIT! I just saw Epke Zonderland's high bar routine...talk about a Flying Dutchman! That was freakin' awesome! A gold medal well deserved!

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:35:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Epke Zonderland

You know, I'd never even heard of this exceptional young man before this morning when I watched him perform his routine. I'm Dutch but it feels really weird taking some kind of national credit for his achievement.

BTW, "Epke"? What kind of a name is that? :P

:sarc: Soccer is for homos. :sarc: *rolls eyes*

I guess that's why it's so popular in Europe. :P

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 7:34:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

"Epke"? What kind of a name is that? :P Don't know. All my Dutch peeps have normal names! ;P Anyway, he should change it to "Epic" (or Epek?) because that's what that routine was! Did you see the German guy's routine? That was awesome and then Epke just blew that completely away!

national credit Why not? It's nice to have something to cheer about.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 10:21:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

It's nice to have something to cheer about.

Sure, but I had nothing to do with getting Epke his medal and yet I'm Dutch and therefore deserving of part of the glory? IDK, it's a little odd.

I'm thinking too deeply about this, methinks. :)

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:02:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Aaah, Arekino-san, you too much thinking. Just paint self orange and enjoy moment. ;P

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home