Monday, August 13, 2012

Little Bastards



I love laughing at this tenacious little bastard. I wish my fruit trees were equipped with such devices. My resident squirrel was at it again today. I went out back with the dog so he could make pee-pees and the little bastard was running across the top of the fence heading toward one of the avocado trees. Then he jumped into the tree and ran up the main trunk. I walked around the bottom of the tree trying to see where he went. He was doing the ol' ring-around-the-tree keep away dance so I decided to climb up in the tree to scare him. Well, when he saw me climbing up into the tree he had a look on his face like he could shit a brick. Then he jumped onto a smaller limb which was within my reach so I grabbed onto it and gave it a good shake. At that point he high-tailed it and jumped onto the roof of the house and hauled ass, I know not where.

Well, lo and behold, when I climbed down from that tree I noticed that the fluffy-tailed tree rat had already knocked down an avocado from the other tree. This one wasn't half eaten; it only had a small bite mark at the top by the stem.

Too bad my air rifle broke a long time ago. I was quite good at dispatching the little bastards to the great fruit buffet in the sky. Oh well. I'll just have to put up with tons of half-eaten fruit.

And just out of curiosity, I investigated whether or not the local squirrels are diseased little buggers and it turns out that they are not as I had suspected. They're pretty healthy for thieving little fluffy-tailed tree rats.

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

I was quite good at dispatching the little bastards to the great fruit buffet in the sky.

Please tell me you didn't really do that. I'd love it if we had squirrels in our backyard. I'd never shoot them. Might even be illegal to do so.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:13:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Please tell me you didn't really do that. Sorry, I can't tell you that. I was probably 12 or 13 y/o when I did that. Unfortunately, squirrels are seriously destructive to fruit crops. Our trees provide some supplemental income and when 90% of the fruit is damaged because of squirrels, well, no income. I was just out back to assess the damage on the one tree and just about all of the fruit has bite marks.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:51:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Can't you put netting around the trees or something? You're not going to be there all the time to scare away the little buggers anyway. Maybe a dog can help?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

The only things that can be done are shoot 'em or poison 'em. I'm not going to put poison out because I don't want to kill any birds or other critters. A net wouldn't work because they would gnaw through it and they just ignore dogs. Sometimes the mockingbirds give 'em hell and dive bomb their asses if they get too close to the bird's nest. :)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home