Friday, August 03, 2012

Olympics


Sorry for the lack of posting but I've been a wee bit distracted by the Olympics. I love the Olympics and I love competition. My country is doing pretty good, as usual. The US female gymnasts weren't too bad(gold medals) but I have to say that no one comes close to Mary Lou Retton in my opinion. Nope. None of you will ever be Mary Lou.

1984 was pretty special. That was probably the first Olympics that I remember and definitely the one that I was most into; the Cold War was still on and it was most satisfying to see an American beat gymnasts from Soviet Bloc countries even after they put their people through athlete mills and shot them up with all sorts of steroids and God know what else. And Mary Lou was freakin' awesome. I remember that everyone loved her. How couldn't you? Her smile and personality were absolutely infectious and she was hella amazing as a gymnast. Gold medal, baby!

Yeah, I'll never forget the 1984 Olympics. I was soooo into it that I had all the US olympic team kit: the warm-up suit, t-shirt, watch, hat, even a swimsuit. Hell, I even got to see Mary Lou Retton herself at Disney World. I could have died and gone to heaven! Not only was I at Disney World but I got to see Mary Lou freakin' Retton!

These Oympics have been pretty good so far but I doubt there will ever be one as good as the 1984 Olympics.

6 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

at Disney World. I could have died and gone to heaven!

Is that a new ride? :P

But seriously, I've been enjoying the Olympics as well, even though the Dutch haven't won that many gold medals.

For some reason the gymnast that stands out the most for me is Aurelia Dobre.

I do remember Mary Lou Retton having a cameo in Scrooged.

It's a pity that the Olympics are usually held at some place on the other side of the planet. It's really no fun to have to stay up late to watch a sports event live.

Friday, August 03, 2012 8:05:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

It's a pity that the Olympics are usually held at some place on the other side of the planet You're in luck this year with them being held pretty close. The Beijing ones really were on the other side of the planet!

the Dutch haven't won that many gold medals. What's up with your peeps? Usually they're good for some swimming or biking medals. Maybe there should be a cheese stacking event? ;P (I kid, I kid!)

Friday, August 03, 2012 11:31:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Usually they're good for some swimming or biking medals.

Which is why we have gold medals in that ATM. I'm expecting good things from the volleyball team as well.

Saturday, August 04, 2012 5:51:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Hey Arekino, I almost forgot...I noticed something interesting about MLR's b-day... :P Stupid NBC isn't being very thorough updating the medal counts, they're too concerned with how US is doing vs China.

Saturday, August 04, 2012 11:33:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

B-day is pretty close but no gold med.. ehm... cigar. :)

Dutch women's hockey team is doing pretty good as well.

Stupid NBC

Tried Google?

Saturday, August 04, 2012 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

LOL My dad would say that close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. ;P

NBC is the tv network airing the games over here, I hadn't been keeping track on the intertubes.

I see your peeps got a couple bronzes in judo. Kayla Harrison won our first EVAR medal in judo, and a gold at that, and the stupid media over here barely gave it a mention.

Saturday, August 04, 2012 3:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home