Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My Favorite Season

Autumn is my favorite time of the year.  I love going into shops and seeing all the harvest related decorations--the Indian corn, the pumpkins, the strange-shaped gourds, and the bundles of wheat.  And the best seasonal crop by far is the tangerines!  The other best part of this season is Halloween.  I love seeing all the new Halloween decorations and all the new ideas for decorating.  The other thing I like to see is the programs on TV showing all the best Haunted House attractions and Haunted Hayrides and corn mazes.  Unfortunately, all the best ones seem to be out of state.  South Florida is such a lame-ass place for such a big urban sprawl.  No Haunted Hayrides or corn mazes here since all the farmland was bulldozed to make housing developments.

I remember one time when I was a kid, I was taken way the hell down south somewhere by the zoo to go to a Haunted House attraction.  It was really stupid.  It was some kind of maze type thing/plywood construction with low lighting/black light/strobe lights where actors in bad costumes and even worse make-up would jump out and try to scare you.  The only good part about it was after you exited the haunted house there were carnival rides set up so that part wasn't so bad.

These days, the Haunted Houses are quite sophisticated.  They look like big budget Hollywood sound stages with professional lighting, sound effects and stage designs with animatronic monsters and professionally done costumes and make-up.  Even some of the hayrides are just as sophisticated.  I think it would be cool to own and operate one of those attractions.  Those peeps must make some serious moolah.  The problem is I'm lacking the property and the funding.  I know one guy from school who is now a horror artist and would probably be down for something like that and I'm not too shabby at creature design myself, but it is something that certainly takes some dedication and enthusiasm.  That would be so cool to be able to make a living out of scaring the crap out of people!  Ahh well, always seem to get foiled by lack of funding and know how.  Curses!

6 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

That would be so cool to be able to make a living out of scaring the crap out of people!

So what would your Haunted House look like? Scaring kids is probably the easiest. What would it take to scare adults?

I suppose the trick is to get them in the right mood first... and then let them hang themselves with their own fantasies.

I suppose feeding them some bathsalts would be frowned upon by the authorities :P

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

So what would your Haunted House look like? Well, I haven't given too much thought to the Haunted House. I was thinking about what I would do for a Haunted Hayride since that would be a little easier to plan. To scare adults, you need to build up some suspense and then have an element of surprise. Maybe some gore, too.

I was thinking about the kinds of "scenes" I'd like peeps to encounter along their ride. Like maybe a crashed alien space ship with creatures coming out, maybe some inbred hillbilly cannibals, zombies, ghosts, maybe some werewolves and vampires. I saw a neat trick done with bungee cords where they had the actors "drop in" on the customers. That was really cool. Maybe build upon that with some trampolines to make the monsters look like they can leap far or fly or whatever.

I suppose feeding them some bathsalts would be frowned upon by the authorities :P I wouldn't want any *real* zombies showing up!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:35:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I saw a neat trick done with bungee cords where they had the actors "drop in" on the customers.

Were the actors dressed as spiders? Or maybe ninjas?

Surprise is always good, I think. When people see some "scary" trick and they can't figure out how it's done, it tends to become even scarier. Get's their imaginations going. "Did I really see that gory/weird thing....???"

I got my flu shot today BTW. I and 99% of all the senior citizens in my town. I can only hope the doctor used the right vaccine and that she didn't "accidentally" use the syringes with the zombie-virus in it. :O

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:48:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Were the actors dressed as spiders? Or maybe ninjas? I think the guy was supposed to be some sort of vampire. The way it was done, he dropped in and leaped at the people, it looked like he was flying toward them. It was a really cool effect. The other thing I like is misdirection. Get people looking at something *over there* and then have something jump right in there face. Scares the crap outta them every time!

I and 99% of all the senior citizens in my town Aww, Arekino, you're not a senior citizen yet! And I hope she didn't stick everyone with the same syringe! That would be gross! I don't trust most of those vaccines. You never know when the government is trying to do some V for Vendetta type thing on the populace. I'll stick with lots of garlic...keeps the germs and the vampires away!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:06:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

you're not a senior citizen yet!

Oh, I know :)

And I hope she didn't stick everyone with the same syringe!

Nah, they had loads of boxes with little syringes, one per person.

I wish I could stick with just the garlic and some vitamines but my immune-system is compromised on account of me being a diabetic. Oh, well.

It's babysit evening again today. There's a movie called Zombieland on TV so maybe I and the kids will watch that together.

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

my immune-system is compromised on account of me being a diabetic That sucks. Dr. Xul would do vitamin and nutrition experiments on you if you were here. :)

It's babysit evening again today. Oh noes! Not the little monsters! Zombieland wasn't too bad IIRC. I saw a German one the other night called Rammbach. It wasn't too bad. It was more suspenseful than gory. A lot of 'Oh shit! Here they come! GTF outta there!' moments.

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home