Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Movie Review Time!

Since I have nothing better to do, and since I had some free movie channels over the weekend I got to see a few movies that came out in the last two years or so. Here we go!

Fright Night A remake. I'm sooooo tired of remakes. Which proves my point that Hollywood seems to have run out of original ideas. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't that good, either. And there was some CGI abuse which is another peeve of mine.


Harry Brown Oh man, this was a great movie! Michael Caine (one of my favorite actors) as an ex-military pensioner, kicking ass vigilante style against a bunch of young, despicable thugs. Excellent, excellent movie. I highly recommend it.


Meskada Movie about a police detective who has to go to the small town where he grew up to solve the case of a young boy who was murdered. A bit slow paced but not too bad.


Contagion This is a movie that will make the obsessive-compulsive germaphobes even more crazy. It was pretty good for a Hollywood movie. It sorta reminded me of a book I read about the scientific reasons for kosher/Jewish dietary laws. It said that there was a reason why a lot of pandemics start in Asia. In Asia they will literally eat any kind of animal. In the Jewish dietary laws, there are two categories of animals: clean and unclean. Many of the "unclean" animals are responsible for cross species infectious diseases. I won't say any more about that so I don't ruin the ending of this movie if you haven't seen it yet.


Puss In Boots Animated movie in the style of the Shrek series. It was pretty good.


Crazy, Stupid, Love. Not horrible but seriously? I know that this is just a movie but what a sad social commentary that there are people who actually act this way. And I totally don't get why some women go crazy over Ryan Gosling. His eyes are too close together and he has a weird looking face. His abs are even weird looking. And his surname means a young goose.


The Black Swan I just don't get what all the hype was about. It wasn't *bad* but it wasn't great either. Not Oscar-worthy IMO. Natalie Portman totally does not look like any ballet dancer that I have ever seen and I *have* worked around ballet dancers before. Ballet dancers are very muscular and fit and have very little body fat. They are not scrawny anorexics like Natalie Portman. I guess people get all worked up over the wanking and the lezzie scene. Which reminds me: Q. What's just as embarrassing as someone walking in on you wanking? A. Someone walking in on you while you're watching someone wanking in a movie!


Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy I usually like Cold War era type movies and this one had a really great cast. There was a lot of dialogue to pay attention to and once again someone had to walk in on me and go off on a monologue for several minutes so I ended up missing some critical dialogue and that pretty much ruined it for me. I guess it was pretty good.


The Debt Another movie set partly in the Cold War era. It was about three Mossad agents who had to capture a Nazi doctor who had experimented on Jews. It had Helen Mirren in it and she is one of my favorite actresses. It was pretty good.

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Ah, some groovy reviews! And I haven't seen most of those movies.

Fright Night. Not seen it but, no, I don't like remakes either - well, usually. This one does have David Tennant in it, I believe, the 10th Doctor Who? Gotta be a plus.

I've seen Harry Brown. Overall a good movie. The ending is pretty scary. Damn those sociopaths.

Meskada, Contagion, Puss In Boots, not seen these yet. Contagion sounds the most interesting. And didn't the actor who played the detective in Meskada (and John Conner in Terminator 3) recently disappear and reappear a few weeks later? I think it was drugs related?

Crazy, Stupid, Love. I saw this one. I liked it, it was funny. His abs are even weird looking. Didn't his abs win an Oscar for best supporting actor?

The Black Swan. I tried to see this movie al the way through but failed.

Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. Not seen it but I know it has some really good actors in it.

The Debt. Not seen it. three Mossad agents who had to capture a Nazi doctor Sounds exciting. Have you seen the movie Munich? Kinda similar maybe, also pretty good.

Well, that was fun. How come you had free movie channels?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:51:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

David Tennant in it, I believe, the 10th Doctor Who? Gotta be a plus. That's what I was thinking. "Hey! The Doctor's in it! Can't be *that* bad."

And didn't the actor who played the detective in Meskada...recently disappear and reappear a few weeks later? I think it was drugs related? IDK, I hadn't heard about that.

Didn't his abs win an Oscar for best supporting actor? Black Swan got Oscars, too. I just don't understand people who like these things. ;P

Have you seen the movie Munich? No. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

How come you had free movie channels? The satellite company gives free movie channels every couple months or so to entice peeps to pay extra for the movie channels. The thing is, they always play the better movies during the free preview so what's the point in paying extra for the subscription?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:41:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Well, we had a minor emergency today. My young nephew came home from school this morning because after a gym class at 8:45 in the morning where they had to run 3 kilometres, he had to throw up and he felt dizzy. So the school let him go home, unaccompanied. Near his home he apparently lost consciousness for a second and fell off his bike. He didn't seriously hurt himself but I doubt it improved his spirits. His parents were both at work so he called on me for support.

He seems okay now. Maybe he just ran out of juice so close after breakfast?

It happened to me once too. I was running a race and suddenly the lights went out and I hit the ground. It lasted only seconds. Never found out why it happened exactly.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Oh, wow! That's not cool. Sounds like he had a low blood sugar attack and ran out of fuel. I had that happen before at a very wealthy client's house. I had not been feeling well and I hadn't eaten much that day. I was in her kitchen and went to go walk to get something and the next thing I knew I was face down on the floor with the client and my boss pulling on my arms trying to get me up. At least she had one of her servants drive me home.

That seems rather unusual that the school wouldn't notify his parents. If they did that over here, there would be all sorts of lawsuits!

And that really sucks that he blacked out again while riding home. It's a good thing he had Oom Arekino to come to his rescue! :)

Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home