Friday, September 21, 2012

Have A Smelly Day!


Yesterday(Thursday), seemed like it was National Reek to High Heaven Day.  No matter where I went, there were lots of nasty-ass people who smelled like B.O. and ass.  The first was a big, fat guy in the waiting room at the doctor's office.  He smelled like ass and flop sweat.  Then there was a whole herd of fat hippo-looking bipedal beasts at Publix stampeding through the produce aisle.  And then there was an old man in the check-out line in front of me who had the old man B.O. funk.  What the hell is wrong with people?  Can't they smell their own selves?

I also went to the Oriental grocery last night.  At least there weren't any smelly peeps in there, just the usual aroma.  I wanted to get some items to make some Chinese food.  I ended up getting there about a half hour before they closed and the young guy who works there was already mopping the floor. I apologized for messing up his work and he said it was okay, but then a bunch of other peeps came in behind me and really messed it up. (This is why you should wait until the store closes to mop up.)  Anyway, I needed some red marinade for roast pork and some baby bok choy and bean sprouts.  The bean sprouts there are the cheapest in town.  I can get a big package for around $1.  The baby bok choy wasn't looking very good so I ended up getting the regular size bok choy.  It ended up being cheaper at $0.95/lb, about $0.50 cheaper per pound than the baby variety.  And I managed to find one that wasn't too heavy and had a good quantity of green tops.  Surprisingly, they didn't have any snow pea pods so I was glad that I had bought them at Publix.  I ended up picking up a few sauces in jars and a package of fried noodles, too.  The weird thing was they didn't have any frozen egg rolls.  They had egg roll skins and frozen pot stickers and buns and such, but no egg rolls.  Ah well, they had a lot of other cool stuff.  I think the Oriental grocery is one of my favorite places just because of all the different and unusual foods for sale.  Even durian.

Onward to Wally World!  Had to pick up some bread and dog food.  At least they had the frozen egg rolls!  While I was in the check out line, someone came up and tapped me on the arm and said, "Excuse me.  Don't I know you?"  It was someone who I used to work with about four years ago.  She told me she was still working at that place and that the lady who was our manager was still there.  She told me that they remodeled the place.  I told her that I had heard that one of the other managers had died.  She confirmed that he had died from a heart attack.  I think he was 52.  She didn't seem to have too much to add so I told her it was nice to see her and went about my business.  Too bad the other manager didn't die.  I might've seen about getting my old job back if that was the case. 

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Can't they smell their own selves?

It's possible that your nose gets so used to a particular smell that your brain just ignores it. So you don't consciously smell it anymore.
One of the things I used to dislike a lot when I was still doing volunteer work in an old folks home was the smell there. I never really got used to it. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time there.

make some Chinese food

We usually buy Chinese food from a local Chinese restaurant. The only thing we make ourselves is a "nasi" of our own design. Not very Chinese I suspect.

snow pea

We call those "peultjes". I like them now but as a kid I hated their bitter taste.

Even durian.

According to Wikipedia peolpe either love or hate the smell of that "king of fruits". What's your opinion on it?

I think he was 52.

Man, 52. That's young. I would hate to think that I've only got that little time left. Only seven more years, arekino, seveeeen moooooore yeeaaaarrrsss...! (approximately)

So what did you end up cooking?

Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

It's possible that your nose gets so used to a particular smell that your brain just ignores it. IDK, body odor isn't something I can get used to. I've heard it said that Americans are obsessive about personal hygiene and cleanliness. I've heard both sides-Americans who complain about trips overseas where everyone reeks, and non-Americans who come over here and remark about how good everyone smells.

We usually buy Chinese food from a local Chinese restaurant. And they are trustworthy? You know for sure that you are not eating dog or cat?

"nasi" I saw some seasoning for nasi goreng there and I thought of you! LOL

durian What's your opinion on it? I've never had it. Every time they have it at the Oriental grocery it's always whole and in the freezer. I guess they don't want to chase away customers! My friend Sarge Marge(who was Filipino) said it smelled indescribably bad.

Only seven more years, arekino, NOOOOOO!!!!! Don't say things like that! I'll have to use my special Xul juju to keep you around for a long time!

So what did you end up cooking? My version of "18 Lohan": Bok choy stir fried with snow pea pods, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, straw mushrooms, seasoned with oyster sauce, etc. Some pork fried rice, and the egg rolls.

Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:09:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

about how good everyone smells

Could be diet. Could be whatever people spray onto their bodies.

You know for sure that you are not eating dog or cat?

I guess I'll have to trust the "Keuringsdienst van Waren" and my tongue. :P

My version of "18 Lohan"

Okay, now I'm drooling. :P We had some homemade tagliatelle and pudding today. Pretty good food too.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:32:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

whatever people spray onto their bodies Wash off then spray on. LOL Could be diet. The worst is peeps who have a lot of turmeric in their diet.

"Keuringsdienst van Waren" When I was in jr.HS a friend's mother was a health inspector. She had lots of tales of horror. Made you think twice before eating out. That and I've had first hand experience with things that should not be.

Okay, now I'm drooling. It's been a while since I've made a man drool. ;P But seriously, you couldn't tell the difference between mine and restaurant made.

tagliatelle and pudding Nom, nom, nom! Glad you are not wasting away! :)

Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home