Sunday, September 09, 2012

NIAFPHFPPW: Offering the Second


This is the sort of thing that breakfast mutates into when part of your family is English and part is Dutch and you live in the South. Two eggs over medium, English muffin(American-style crumpet) with Dickinson's Lemon Curd(very English) and butter, and grits with a dollop of butter melting in the center(very Southern). All washed down with a bold, full-bodied English tea(The London Cuppa brand) in a Van Gogh Starry Night mug.

It was a very filling breakfast since it stuck with me all day(I forgot to eat lunch). It even lasted through me mowing the lawn today in the blistering heat. It was a strange weather day today. I got up to what felt like the beginning of Autumn. It was hot but not too humid and the sky was perfectly clear.

There must have been a nice high pressure area in position, but it was hotter than blue blazes. After mowing for about 45 minutes I had to stop and come inside before I passed out. I had to strip down to my undies since my clothes were sweated clean through and sit in front of the fan(and this is with the AC going) and drink about a liter of ice water. After I got cooled back down to a reasonable temperature, I went back out and finished up. At least when I went back out, the sun was down enough to get obstructed by the big trees in the front of the house. There was a bit of a breeze so it didn't feel too bad as I mowed the rest of the yard.

For dinner I had leftover sausage with sauerkraut and a nuked potato with garlic butter. I'll save that pic for tomorrow's post!

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Tasty. Looks rather elaborate. Is that usually what you eat like? I just eat two slices of bread, usually one with Nutella on it.

I got up to what felt like the beginning of Autumn.

Yes, the times they are a-changin'.

I had to strip down to my undies [...] I went back out and finished up.

LOL :p Must have amused the neighbours. :)

sauerkraut

We eat that over here too. We eat it raw and sour, sometimes mixed through the mashed potatoes. I don't like it, it does bad things to my palate.

Monday, September 10, 2012 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Is that usually what you eat like? Not always. I'm the sort of person who can't eat immediately after I wake up. I usually have to wait an hour or so. I almost always have tea first thing. It took me a looooong time before I could eat "traditional" breakfast-type food because my parents traumatized me when I was a little kid with their idea of breakfast every weekend. My mother can't cook grits to save her life. They were always hard with the texture of dried Spackle and they would make me sit at the table until I ate everything. I hated the grits and I didn't like egg yolks so I always ended up sitting at the table for several hours. I was traumatized by breakfast until my first job in HS where the chefs at work actually knew how to cook. Like Eggs Benedict. Yum!

Must have amused the neighbours. :) I did that after I got inside, ya silly!

Monday, September 10, 2012 1:43:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I did that after I got inside, ya silly!

Well, you never explicitly stated that you put your clothes back on...

It seemed funny at the time. :/

I was traumatized by breakfast until my first job in HS where the chefs at work actually knew how to cook.

Sounds like the origin story of a superhero with secret cooking powers!

Grits? As in "kiss my grits" ? What do they taste like?

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:45:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

It seemed funny at the time. :/
I think maybe you're just a naughty boy? ;P If I could get away with it, it *would* be a lot cooler that way! LOL

Sounds like the origin story of a superhero with secret cooking powers! I developed my cooking superpowers at subsequent jobs!

Grits? As in "kiss my grits"? Yep. What do they taste like? Basically, it's dried, roughly ground-up white corn(maize) and you cook it in salted water until it's soft and creamy. So mildly corny. ;P I like mine with a lot of butter but some people put cheese and I've even heard of some people making them sweet with sugar.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home