Saturday, June 02, 2012

They're not retarded, they're Dutch.



That video was pretty funny Arekino, and it kinda reminded me of a couple things.

I had heard this story before but it still cracks me up. And it's also one of my favorite stories from someone's childhood.

...Both of her parents are from Amsterdam and came to live in South Carolina the year she was born. Anna’s father was an anesthesiologist and was gone all of the time. Her mother was a stay-at-home mom so Anna got to spend all of her time with her mother. Anna’s mom was very lonely for Holland. When Anna reached school age, her father told her mother that Anna could not stay home but had to go to school. The first day, her mom dressed her up in a fancy little dress and patent leather shoes and walked her to school. She handed her over to the teacher and left. That afternoon, when Anna’s mother came to pick her up, the teacher said she needed to talk to her. The teacher said “We think Anna’s retarded.” You see, Anna’s parents forgot to teach her English, and her teacher failed to recognize that Anna was speaking Dutch. So her parents taught her English IN A WEEK and sent her back to school where she excelled.


I've had peeps on Facebook (well, one peep in particular) ask me the same thing when they saw some Dutch stuff on my page. "What's up with those peeps? Are they retarded?" No, not retarded. They're Dutch!

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Oh, god... What have I done? Let's hope people don't actually believe we're all like that. :)

New Kids had a show on Comedy Central here in the Netherlands. My three young nephews thought it was hilarious at the time. I didn't like it much.

I'm not so sure I believe that story about young Anna. Certain parts just don't ring quite true.

I don't think I've ever had huzarensla. It's apparently a rather old-fashioned dish.

I've been trying to make puddingbroodjes today. The broodjes part worked out okay but I'm not so sure about the pudding part. :/

Sunday, June 03, 2012 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

I was going to ask you if you came across that because of the nephews. It seemed like something that would appeal to the adolescent male demographic or peeps like me since I sometimes have an adolescent male's sense of humor. :) Kids in the Hall is still my fav, though.

I was going to try a small trial portion of the huzarensla since I actually have all the ingredients in the house but I got a bit lazy. I made some Italian sausages with peppers and onions and marinara over pasta instead.

The puddingbroodjes looks yummy. You would certainly be handy to have around although I might end up with a big ass because of it! LOL ;P

Oh! Almost forgot! The zombies in Friesland thing reminded me of this bit by Eddie Izzard where he goes there and tries to communicate with some farmers by speaking to them in Old English(or was it Middle English?) cuz it's similar to what they speak up in Friesland. Well, I thought it was amusing. :)

Sunday, June 03, 2012 3:59:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

The puddingbroodjes looks yummy.

Well, they did taste rather yummy. :) Not exactly what I hoped for but quite nice.

Eddie Izzard

you mean this movie ?

Sunday, June 03, 2012 4:10:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

I guess the proof was in the puddin'? ;P I have a weakness for baked goods. If you ply me with them, who knows what would happen!?

Ja, dat Eddie Izzard. The comments remind me of shit my dad was always going on about. Angles, Saxons, and Jutes(oh my!)and how the English were't English and Vikings buggering the Celts and whatnot.

I'm not so sure I believe that story about young Anna. Certain parts just don't ring quite true. Yeah, I seem to recall some peeps from Amsterdam who were known for a tendency of embellishing stories. ;P

Sunday, June 03, 2012 9:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home