Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bed Post ::wink, wink::


Okay then. Originally, the post before last was going to be about this article. I don't have much comment on that story. I currently have one of those awful things and I absolutely bloody well hated the thing at first because of the magnificent work of chemical and engineering art that I previously had.

My old bed, as the story goes, was a discard from a hotel. (I know, right?) I think this had to be back in the early '70's. It's a good thing my old peeps weren't germaphobes like most parents are these days. I swear to God, this bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in my whole life. It was legendary. Anyone who ever came to visit and sat on my bed always remarked, "OH MY GOD! This is THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED! The top mattress was only around 6 inches thick, but it was made from some sort of dense, super squishy yet very bouncy foam. The bottom piece was a box spring. Comfy and bouncy.

Eventually, after several decades of use, the fabric covering was frayed all to hell exposing the foam underneath, and the foam had become brittle enough to split completely from side to side. So my ever generous mother bought me one of those stupid memory foam things as a replacement, without consulting me first, of course.

I seriously hated the memory foam at first. I compared it to trying to sleep in the La Brea tar pit. You sorta sink into the damn thing and it's difficult to move around. The old bed was easy to move in. You could just give a bounce and a turn and voila! Repositioned! In the new thing, every movement was a struggle. And like that article says, the foam gets hot. My old foam mattress didn't get hot. It stayed nice and cool. If you live in a cold climate, I guess that might be a feature, but since I live in a fucking hot and humid swamp? Not so much.

I've gotten begrudgingly used to the memory foam thing. I tolerate it because I have no other choice, really. I can hardly wait until it wears out. I'm almost there. The thing is getting those valleys that beds get from where they give in to the weight of ones body.

Unfortunately, I don't think the foam like my old bed was made from is manufactured any more. A pity that. So it's very unlikely that I'll ever find a bed as comfy again.
*
*
*
*
OMG! After nosing around the intertubes for a bit, I think I just might have discovered what my old bed was made from! Latex! Looky here! After reading the description and the properties...that's it! that's it! I'm soooo excited I could do the happy dance! I canz buyz one!

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

The thing is getting those valleys that beds get from where they give in to the weight of ones body.

You know you have to flip the mattrass every 6 months or so to prevent that? Also, mattrasses usually have a winter and a summer side.

I canz buyz one!

Great! I assume you'll try it out in the store first? Just to make sure.

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:56:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

You know you have to flip the mattress every 6 months or so to prevent that? I can't with this stupid memory foam thing. It's not the name brand one and the mattress part is only on one side. The other side is unfinished and hard like concrete. I tried sleeping on that side before and after one night I almost needed a trip to the chiropractor. So the best I can do with the damn thing is to rotate it. It's not as bad with the foam being mashed down and compressed. It's feels less like sleeping in a tar pit. And I've never heard of mattresses having a winter and a summer side. What is this "winter" that you speak of??? ;)

I assume you'll try it out in the store first? I found a place in Ft. Lauderdale that is a manufacturer so I'll definitely be checking it out!

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:45:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

What is this "winter" that you speak of??? ;)

Ah, yes. Forgot about that... but I do seem to remember a picture on your blog of snow covered trees. Or maybe that was a dream...? :/

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

IDK, that was some weird white stuff that fell on some trees up near Orlando. Some strange meteorological phenomenon. ;P Then it got "cold" for a few days and all the iguanas carked it. I think there were wizards or enchanters involved somehow. :o

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home