Monday, June 11, 2012

5.166 Feet of Fury

I was going to title this post Eff-Eye-Vee-Eee Feet of Eff-You-Are-Why but if you write that out like it's supposed to be spelled, that name already belongs to another blog and that person would probably sue my ass because she's well known and shit. Well, maybe not. Who'd bother. Besides, why short-change myself two inches for a little alliteration? Since I don't have a good martial arts pic of myself, here's a pic of someone conjuring some chi:



Anyway, I have managed to stay on my exercise regimen every day this week in spite of doing a lot of yard work over the weekend in nasty, humid 90 degree heat. Seven days down, twenty-three to go.

Over the weekend I had a chance to watch a bit of the new American Ninja Warrior program. I found it to be a bit disappointing since the producers seem to have the 'give everyone a trophy' mentality and just pass guys through who did not complete the course. They also don't have a time limit to the stages like in the original Japanese version. I HATE when shit is dumbed down or made to be easy. The Japanese don't make it easy. If no one can complete the course then tough shit! No winner. If you want to win, train harder and come back next year. None of this take the fastest losers even though they fell off the obstacles and advance them to the next stage.

I wasn't raised that way. My parents just didn't allow me to win at things. If I wanted to win, then I had to be good enough to win. Imagine if that mentality was applied to doctors. 'Oh, Johnny tried really hard in his anatomy classes but he just doesn't seem to be able to tell his ass from his elbow. Just go ahead and give him his MD so he won't feel bad!" Well, fuck that! No one wants a doctor who hasn't achieved excellence in his field so why should failure be rewarded in other areas of life?

I see that there was a Miami trial down at the FIU campus. I wish they would do a Kunoichi (women's) version. I'd go try out for it in a heartbeat. The Japanese version was tailored to a woman's strength, mainly obstacles that required good balance and speed. Well, just so you know, I am the master of good balance! I'd totally own the rest of those chicks! I used to have monkey bars in the back of my house until a few years ago when they fell victim to the hurricanes. I used to do some real daredevil stunts off those things. I sure miss those monkey bars. They were good for ninja training! Too bad code enforcement is my enemy around here because it would be cool to have some of the ninja warrior obstacles to play with!

8 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

I have managed to stay on my exercise regimen every day

Ah, I expect your kamehameha wave is coming along nicely then? ;)

why should failure be rewarded in other areas of life?

Well, yeah, if a filter doesn't filter then it's broken. I suppose it doesn't always have to be a "win or lose" type of thing. Sometimes it's okay to give a partial reward for pratially reached goals. Not in the case of the doctors.

Too bad code enforcement is my enemy

You mean like building codes?

Got any plans to see the Prometheus movie?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:30:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Ah, I expect your kamehameha wave is coming along nicely then? ;) I don't know about that, but the quads certainly are!

You mean like building codes? Yep. I don't need to give the bastards an excuse to give fines.

Got any plans to see the Prometheus movie? Nah, I'll wait until it's out on video or cable.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:08:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

the quads certainly are!

After only 7 days? Hard to believe.

I'll wait until it's out on video or cable.

Yeah, I hear it's a bit of a disappointment to a lot of people.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

After only 7 days? Hard to believe. They're feeling nice and hard. ;P

Yeah, I hear it's a bit of a disappointment to a lot of people. After seeing a few previews of it, it looks like it's not going to live up to the hype. Leave it to Hollywood to screw it up just like what they did to John Carter(of Mars). The more previews I see, the more disappointing it looks.

Off topic...did I ever show you the video of my sifu breaking the ton of ice?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:22:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

did I ever show you the video of my sifu breaking the ton of ice?

Yes, I think so. Long time ago. Do you have any tangible evidence of your martial arts days? I can't remember if you won any awards or not.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

I still have my old uniforms and rank sashes...somewhere. They're put away in a box. And my swords and weapons, of course. Our school didn't do the medals and trophies thing.

Bloody buggery kaaskoppen are really pissing me off. 2-0 krauts at 38:11 in the first. They obviously don't want to play in this tournament. :(

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:47:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Yeah, goddamn humiliating (or humbling) defeat. I saw it coming, really.

The first 10 minutes were okay and there was a 10 minute period in the second half of the game when they finally seemed to get the idea that they actually had to do some work. But the rest was shiiiiiiit.

IDK, maybe some of the players are too old and some too young, maybe it's the high temperatures. Nah, the Germans were simply better.

I don't see the Dutch team winning from the Portuguese in the next game either.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:33:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

I knew they were going to lose, too. They looked like a bunch of guys who didn't give a shit about being there. There was no help for Van Persie up front. IDK, they looked defeated before they started. I heard that there was criticism from the WC that they played too physically. Now, the other extreme. I don't see them beating Portugal, either. They look like a bunch of guys who want to get out of there as quickly as possible. BTW, I found that ESPN is airing the games live, so I get to torture myself some more like yesterday.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home