Monday, August 26, 2013

I just want to punch her in the face

No, not my mother.   ;D

This chick.

It really pisses me off that Cat Zingano got injured and Miesha Tate replaced her as Rousey's opponent for the UFC title fight.  I think Zingano would have been a better opponent.  I never cared for Rousey as a fighter.  I'm tired of the one trick pony aspect of her winning every. fucking. fight. by. arm bar.  Can someone just please give her a front kick to the face?  Or maybe a liver kick?  Some well timed elbows?  Or perhaps use the most underutilized (but still legal) strike of all, the palm-heel strike?

I lost any respect I might have had for Rousey when she gave Tate the finger in her face during a promo for the fight.  I'm possessed by old school Chinese demons after all, and I'm all about the honor.  I *HATE* deliberate displays of disrespect.  Also, the last interview I saw of Rousey, she acted all put-out that she had to do an interview.  Poor baby.  I would get great pleasure in chopping her ear off or bashing her in the temple with a palm-heel.  Let's see what happens when tricksy kung fu meets that judo.  Of course, I'd have to grow 3 or 4 inches and fight 20 pounds more than my natural fighting weight.  And become a known fighter.  ;P

Like *that* is gonna happen!

I'd settle for seeing Cris Cyborg Santos beat the crap out of her, though.  Except the chances of that happening are as good as seeing me in the title fight.  Cyborg has the skills and experience to win that fight.  If Rousey would fight in a heavier weight class it could happen.  I think Cyborg is too large a fighter to cut down to 135lbs.  The weight issue is the main excuse for this particular fight not happening.  I think Rousey knows that Cyborg would be a real challenge.

Anyhoo, I found out an interesting little tidbit about my favorite Dutch fighter Bas Rutten:  he's from (very close to Arekino's neck of the woods)Tilburg.  He also confirmed for me(while commentating a MMA fight) that the palm-heel is indeed a legal strike in MMA.  I couldn't find a specific mention in the rules until then.

8 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Good article.

that the palm-heel is indeed a legal strike in MMA.

Well, why wouldn't it be legal?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Good article.

Thanks! ;)

Well, why wouldn't it be legal?

Don't know. I always assumed that it was but don't remember seeing anyone in UFC use it. It was standard for Pancrase since closed fists were illegal and I saw it in Pride. I don't remember seeing it specifically mentioned in the rules for UFC even though hammer fists were legal.

IDK, it seems a natural technique for me since it was a standard defensive technique in kung fu. Peeps don't go around wearing boxing or grappling gloves or even hand wraps so if you punch someone in the face you are likely to hurt your hand. You are less likely to injure yourself throwing a palm heal strike to someone's face.

I guess since MMA is mainly for sport and not for self defense, the concentration is on punching and not all the other possible strikes which come from traditional disciplines.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:32:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

the concentration is on punching and not all the other possible strikes which come from traditional disciplines.

IDK, it's not boxing. The contestants aim to win so I would expect them to use any technique available. Is the hand heel attack less effective than a fist attack? A fist does give you an extra couple of centimetres of arms length.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

The contestants aim to win so I would expect them to use any technique available.

I think the current mainstream MMA training is too limited in scope. They're all about teaching boxing, wrestling and jiujitsu. Not to say that there aren't some who teach some more traditional techniques but those are few and far between. I usually take note with approval when I see those techniques in a fight.

A fist does give you an extra couple of centimetres of arms length.

Fists are fine if you are going to fight while standing. Once on the ground, the mechanics for punches is less than ideal. A good punch is thrown using the whole body--starting with the feet and using the legs, torso, and arms for maximum torque. On the ground, especially if you are on top(eg in the guard position), palm-heal(especially when done correctly--striking with that little bone in the wrist) is more effective due to the mechanics involved. On the ground, a punch is just an arm punch and not as powerful as when thrown correctly from a standing position.

Punches are generally thrown horizontally. Palms are thrown vertically or diagonally. It's all a matter of positioning. Some techniques work better than others depending on which position you are in.

If I was in the guard position, I'd use palm-heals to hack away at the sciatic nerve in the leg or to smash my opponent's face(nose, ears, temple).

Arekino, I guess you don't need no stinking dojo when you have me to tell you all about techniques! ;P ;P ;P ;D

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:28:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I guess you don't need no stinking dojo when you have me to tell you all about techniques!

Hah! :D Oh, sure, any ninjas are gonna have a hard time taking me down. :P

Although I suppose the easiest way to win a fight is to not be in a fight. :)

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Although I suppose the easiest way to win a fight is to not be in a fight. :)

Like when Daniel-san asked Mr. Miyagi how to win in the tourney, Miyagi said, "Don't get hit!" LOL

My formal training always stressed situational awareness and avoiding fights(not really a problem if you are naturally Avoidant ;P).

Ya know, one of the reasons I like Bas Rutten(aside from him being a beast when he fought professionally) is that he teaches practical self defense techniques as well as MMA. Ya got to throw out any notion of fair play or sportsmanship or Marquis de Queensbury rules nonsense when it comes to real life self defense. That aligns with my philosophy. Eye gouges, throat punches, kicks to the groin, 'monkey steals the peaches' etc all fair game in my book. ;P ;D

I was thinking of something that happened when I was in HS that still makes me chuckle to this day(I might have told you before)--when I took Kung Fu we learned a lot of Chin Na joint locks/breaks and one of my favorites was what is similar to a Kimura. Some of my friends and I were standing outside the gym door in the alley and one girl was being kind of a brat. I think she went to slap me or something and I applied said technique with lightning fast reflexes. My friend "A" was like, "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME!!!"

Did you ever have to put the smack down on anyone, Arekino? ;)

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:08:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

all fair game in my book.

Hey, if you're not the fastest or the strongest then you have to be meanest. :P

Did you ever have to put the smack down on anyone, Arekino? ;)

Nah, but as kid I was stupid enough to pick a fight and get my ass kicked. Ah, well, you live, you learn. :)

Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

^ :(

I have a *situation* to take care of today. I don't know when I'll be back so I'll tell ya about it later.

See ya! :)

Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home