Monday, August 12, 2013

I think I've missed my calling

It seems that I am really good at making baked goods and sweets and all things yummy and fattening.  That is ironic as I'm a bit of a health nut.  So every time I make baked goods it means I'll have to get in an extra workout!

Anyway, my latest foray into baking was recreating Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay biscuits.  And why would I want to do this?  Because the old woman wanted to buy a box of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix in the store and I put a stop to it because it's stupid to buy something that is basically Bisquick with some cheddar cheese mixed into it with some herb butter brushed on the top.

The old woman got pissy and didn't buy the mix but then bothered me for several days about it.  I ended up making the damn things yesterday and guess what?  They turned out fabulous just like everything else I make.  Of course the old woman couldn't say thank you or they were good, bad, or okay.  And she has the nerve to call me "ungrateful," "self-centered," or "spoiled" amongst other choice slurs.

Just like yesterday morning, I got up and started making myself an omelet.  The old woman is always bitching that she "can't eat eggs" or she "doesn't like that"(usually referring to whatever I may be making for myself.  But true to form, whenever I'm halfway through making myself something, she'll ask me to make one for her, too.  This annoys me so much!  I'm not sure if she does it deliberately or if she's just such a narcissist that she has no regard for me.  If you want a fucking omelet, ask me before I'm halfway through making one for myself so I can chop up enough ingredients for two omelets instead of one and can get hers made and out of the way first.

But NOOOOOO!!!!!!!  I'm halfway finished cooking my omelet and anticipating eating it when she wants me to stop everything and make her one too.  Uuuuugggghh.  ***heavy sigh***  This always ends up ruining it for me.  Anyway, this time I told her that I was going to finish making my omelet, go and eat it, and then I would come back and make her one.

Of course after I made the damn omelet for her, the first thing she does is bitch that it wasn't cooked in the middle. That was total bullshit. She had tomatoes in it which were runny.  I told her to put it in the microwave for a minute then.  After that she says that "these eggs are terrible."  Gee thanks.  Way to make someone feel good. (BTW, that's one of her new complaints--that the eggs don't taste like real eggs any more.  ***eye roll***)  Puts me through a hassle and then can't even thank me for my trouble.  Nothing but negativity about every fucking thing.

Anyway, sorry this turned into a rant about the old woman.  This was supposed to be a nice post about my cooking skillz but no matter what I do, my efforts are always ruined by the old woman's negativity.

Back to the bloody biscuits...

I looked up a recipe for the things on the 'toobs and found one that had a good rating.  The great thing about recipes on the 'toobs is peeps make the things and then leave comments about how they turned out and little hints on how to tweak the recipe.  I found out that you're basically making Bisquick drop biscuits with some shredded cheddar cheese mixed in and then the "secret" ingredient in the herb butter that you brush on the top is Old Bay fish seasoning.

Luckily for me, I happened to have a small tin of Old Bay seasoning.  As per the commenter, I also put a dash of it into the batter.  Since I've only eaten at Red Lobster one time in my life, I have no idea what they are serving there these days nor what the biscuits are supposed to look or taste like.  Judging by what the recipe said, I guessed that they were supposed to be smaller than a regular biscuit.

When I scooped the batter out onto the baking sheet, I used a 2 tablespoon sized scoop.  I think that was a little larger than what they should have been as it took about double the cooking time and only made 24 biscuits instead of 30.  What-evs.

Regardless, *I* thought they turned out absolutely fabulous!  They were very soft inside and the herb butter seasoning made them very delicious.  I ate four of them when they were finished.  That's how good they were.  I just had myself another two just a while ago and that's what inspired me to write this post.  Yummy-yummy nom-noms.  ;P

Anyone else make anything interesting lately?

9 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Anyway, this time I told her that I was going to finish making my omelet, go and eat it, and then I would come back and make her one.

That's the way to do it. Good on you.

Way to make someone feel good.

Well, she commented on the eggs, not on you.

*I* thought they turned out absolutely fabulous!

Which is really the only thing that matters. :)

Anyone else make anything interesting lately?

I've been making a lot of carbon-dioxide lately. :P

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Well, she commented on the eggs, not on you.

It's the constant negativity. She could at least say that I make a good omelet--too bad the eggs don't taste like they used to, or something like that. There's never anything positive with her.

Just like today, someone called concerning *something* that would be out of the question. Physically impossible for one person. Instead of saying 'no, can't do it' and let that be the end of it, she's been harping on and on about it. It has literally been 4 hours of non-stop bitching about something that she isn't even going to do. :::face-palm:::

It gets really, really old when I have to hear the same sorts of shit every. freakin'. day.

I've been making a lot of carbon-dioxide lately. :P

Such a smarty-pants. ;)

Better watch out or the ones who think they are the global masters will want to put an extra carbon tax on you! ;P ;D

Oh, BTW...just finished taking the biggest part of the palm stump out with The AX! It takes a lot of energy but at least you can't ruin an ax with all that wet palm fiber and it it fairly straight forward work except it's a little taxing on the back. :O I was only at it for maybe 10 minutes but it's just too freakin' hot today--around 90F. :/

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:48:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

She could at least say that I make a good omelet

Sounds like your looking for her approval.

.just finished taking the biggest part of the palm stump out

Will you replace it with something?

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:09:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Sounds like your looking for her approval.

It would be nice but it's something I've never had and don't think I ever will.

Will you replace it with something?

Don't know. I still have the 2 smaller stumps to take out. :/ I'd just like for the grass to fill in. Nothing grew under all that shade. There's a big sandy spot now. :(

BTW, you haz a mail. :)

In other news, the a-hole neighbor next door has apparently moved out. Seems that what is in charge of the house now is Russians of some variety, maybe Chechens(sp?). They are *very* assholish with nasty attitudes--not at all friendly or neighborly. >:(

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:03:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

BTW, you haz a mail. :)

Hmmmm, mail! :P

maybe Chechens

If they are Chechens then I wouldn't call them Russians. They might take offence to that.(or maybe they don't care, IDK)

Is it a family with kids ?

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:09:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Is it a family with kids ?

Not sure yet. Only a younger guy and an older one so far and several Russian speaking workmen. Not sure of the actual nationality--definitely Russian speaking--could be from one of the former Soviet satellite countries. I'm usually pretty good at identifying where peeps are from...I'm just guessing Chechen, but I wouldn't say it to their faces. I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later.

I spoke to the neighbor on the other side of my property a few weeks ago. She had mentioned something about how new peeps moving in around here are not friendly *at all*. Like she had went to introduce herself to some peeps and they were not friendly in the least bit. It's not like you are trying to be best friends, just be friendly and civil. So now we have more unfriendlies to deal with. :/

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:43:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

So now we have more unfriendlies to deal with.

Hopefully they won't reach critical mass at some point. :P

Stereotypically, Eastern Europeans are notorious wodka drinkers though. :(

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:24:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Stereotypically, Eastern Europeans are notorious wodka drinkers though. :(

Oh, yes. Definitely. I used to work with some Polish and Hungarians. They were...entertaining. ;P I had the misfortune of working with Russians as well. Oh, do I have some stories! I could do a series, actually. ;)

Living where I do, I've met or worked with peeps from well over 100 different countries. I have lots of stories. :D

Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:37:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Oh, do I have some stories! I could do a series, actually. ;)

Ooooo, story time! Me like! Me like good much! :)

Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home