Sunday, July 28, 2013

A little Muay Thai, a little MMA

I got to see lots of fighting this weekend--Lion Fights 10 on Friday and some UFC today.  The Lion Fights promotion has been pretty good.  They get some pretty big names like Yodsanklai Fairtex and Malaipet who are very well known in Thailand and bring truckloads of experience to the ring.  Those guys had some very entertaining fights.  Also, they had Tiffany Van Soest on the card.  I really like her.  She has some pretty exciting high energy fights.  This one was no exception.  She KO'd her opponent in the first round with some nasty punches and elbows.

The UFC prelims proved to be more entertaining than the main card as usual.  There was a pretty good chick fight between a Dutch woman and an American.  The Dutch woman fought with more of a Muay Thai style and threw some wicked knee strikes.  She won by decision.  There was another chick fight on the main card--Liz Carmouche versus some Brazilian.  Carmouche mounted that chick in the second round and then pounded her head in with punches and elbows for several minutes until the ref stepped in and stopped the fight.  That match was great!  The other match that was good was the one with Robbie Lawler.  I forget who he fought but he knocked the guy out.

Anyway, watching Muay Thai always reminds me that MMA would be more exciting if the fighters would utilize more Muay Thai techniques such as elbow strikes and kicks to the outside thigh(to the sciatic nerve).  Inside thigh strikes will work, too!  :D  One of the greatest things to see in a fight is to see a fighter chop the legs out from under his opponent with hard kicks to the thighs.  Thai style leg kicks are absolutely brutal.

The other thing I would like to see more of is the liver kick.  I love seeing fighters KO'd by liver kick!  Especially a la Bas Rutten who was a beast back in the day.  I'd hate to take a liver kick from him!  He could also knock you out by palm strike(which looked a lot like a bitch slap LOL).

9 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Good write-up.

I love seeing fighters KO'd by liver kick!

I don't want to spoil your fun but isn't that a bit of a high price to pay by the fighters for your (and other peoples') entertainment? I still can't understand why people do this kind job. Is there so much money to be made by doing this?

GOT was pretty good BTW. The 1st season may have been a bit better than the 2nd though.

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

isn't that a bit of a high price to pay by the fighters for your (and other peoples') entertainment?

No one makes them do it. I think MMA fighters suffer fewer long-term injuries than boxers.

Is there so much money to be made by doing this?

IMO it's like gambling or playing the lottery. Everyone hopes to strike it rich, but in reality, only a scant few ever make any real money from it.

Having a good spar with full padding is great fun. I just don't like getting hit in the face. I wouldn't want to do it as a job. If peeps think that they are bad-asses and want to beat other peeps up and get beaten in return, so be it. I like watching. I probably have some Roman DNA somewhere along the genealogy. ;P

The 1st season may have been a bit better than the 2nd though.

And the 3rd season wasn't as good as the first two...but there *were* some very satisfying moments of comeuppance. ;P

Hey, have you ever heard of this insane TV program called Naked and Afraid? They take a man and a woman and make them survive in the wilderness for 21 days while nekkid and they are only allowed one survival item each. It is completely insane and I would never do it in a few of the places they made peeps go, not for all the tea in China. :O

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:16:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

have you ever heard of this insane TV program called Naked and Afraid?

No, but I see that there are some episodes on youtube. I'll have to check those out.

not for all the tea in China. :O

But what about for all the chocolate and beer in Belgium? :D

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

But what about for all the chocolate and beer in Belgium? :D

I *might* entertain the idea for that level of bribe. ;P And only if it was the episode on the Maldivian island. The last episode in the Louisiana swamp? Hell effing no!!! There is nothing in the world that would get me to spend 21 days naked in a effing swamp filled with water moccasins and alligators. HELLLLLL NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Hey, did you watch the WHOLE G.O.T season 2 over the weekend? Did you leave the house at all? ;P

I watched a Firefly marathon. :)

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:01:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

did you watch the WHOLE G.O.T season 2 over the weekend?

Yeah, but only on Sunday. Watched all episodes consecutively.

Did you leave the house at all? ;P

Lots of days go by without me leaving the house.

I watched a Firefly marathon. :)

Oooo, I'd love to do that. I only saw the series once and in a screwed up order. :(

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:44:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Oooo, I'd love to do that. I only saw the series once and in a screwed up order. :(

Ya know, when that series originally aired, I was unaware of its existence. I was working too damn much back then to be aware of any pop culture. I didn't become aware of the show until 2 or 3 years ago.

When I first watched it, I was like 'Wild West in space? Meh.' The more chances I've given it, the better I liked it.

I liked the Serenity movie a lot. And getting to see the marathon in correct order was great. And one little observation: There was a bit of nudity going on. I can't imagine that being allowed on network TV when the series originally aired. :O

In other news, we had fabulous weather yesterday--it was sunny and not too humid. It would have been a good day for the beach.

Today? Thunderstorms up the ying yang. S FL is trying to be like the NL. ;P

I see that your temps have cooled down. The overnights are pretty nice. :) Friday looks to be a scorcher, though. :/

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:35:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I just had a look at what my go-to site for online DVD purchases and the entire series can be bought there for only 24 euros. Problem is, it's on Blu-ray and I don't have a Blu-ray player. Too bad.

Thunderstorms up the ying yang

So what do you do when the weather is bad like that?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:00:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

So what do you do when the weather is bad like that?

Stay inside if I don't have to be anywhere, which is most days, and watch TV or surf the toobs. :(

Seems the thunderstorms only lasted until around noon. It's been clear for the afternoon. I was going to go out and cut the seed sprays off the palm tree in front so to avoid a massive mess when they start dropping, but the old woman wanted some blintzes, so I got distracted with making some crepe skins and looking for a decent recipe for the filling.

The skins turned out good like the last time I made them. :) I'm getting pretty good with this cooking business. ;P I made some candied citrus peel over the weekend and they didn't last long...were devoured within hours. ;P

My next endeavor will be some spring rolls.

Have you cooked anything good lately?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:35:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

My next endeavor will be some spring rolls.

Ah, loempias! We sometimes get those from one of the chinese restaurants.

Have you cooked anything good lately?

Hm, no. I should give some recipe a try, shouldn't I? Even just for practice. But what?

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home