Sunday, June 23, 2013

The much anticipated movie review post

As I previously stated before in comments on a previous post, I had free HBO, Cinemax, and Starz channels last weekend.  Surprisingly, I also have free Epix channels previews this weekend.  Lots of freebies.  How generous.  Anyway, I held off doing the movie review post until I was in the mood, then I had free previews this weekend and intended to hold off a bit longer, but the stuff on Epix is either crap or movies that I've already seen before and don't intend to watch again.

Okay then!  Let's get on with it, shall we?

Last week I watched Prometheus, Dark Shadows, Looper, The Amazing Spider-Man, Trouble with the Curve, and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.  I attempted to watch Magic Mike and Moonrise Kingdom.  I only got through 30 minutes of the former and 15 of the latter before going


Seriously, who the hell liked Magic Mike?  That movie was shit.  First of all, I can't stand Channing Tatum.  I hate his name(who the hell names someone that?) and the guy can't act worth a shit.  I have to think that he either blew the right person or took it up the ass(a lot) too for someone to be giving this no talent *any* roles whatsoever.  And the guy is ugly and mumbles or slurs all his lines.  He reminds me of some big dumb sleazy jock.  So, actually, he didn't have to "act" much for that role.  It was a shit movie and just sleazy and gross.

Moonrise Kingdom was such crap from the very beginning that I wasn't going to suffer through the whole thing so I flipped it off shortly after it began.  Both of these garbage movies got three stars in the program guide.  WTF, people?

Now on to Prometheus.  I promised myself that I would give it a chance and try to forget any negative reviews that I had read or heard.  I came into it withholding judgement.  The movie was a mess.  You'd think that if you go and travel alllll this way to a distant planet to find the origin of life on Earth and you actually *find* what you came for...you'd think that peeps would be a little happier about it or a little more surprised or have some greater emotional reaction to it all.  Sigh.  It was just so disjointed feeling.  There *were* actually parts that were pretty good.  I liked the scenes with the android dude.  And the fact that he messed with shit and that he was the one that actually "made" the terrifying aliens from the first several movies(Noomi Rapace's character was impregnated by her infected husband making the aliens a hybrid with human DNA) was an interesting twist.  It's just that the rest of the cast was annoying as hell.  It was poorly conceived and poorly directed IMO.  It had loads of potential and could have been quite good with a different cast and director.  It just made me all


Looper and Trouble with the Curve were kinda boring and I don't recommend them.  They weren't total crap so much as they were just meh.  Dark Shadows I actually liked.  I read all sorts of negative reviews but I thought it was quite entertaining and funny.  Likewise with the Sherlock Holmes one.  It was very entertaining(and hey! Noomi Rapace was in that one, too!).  Stephen Fry was in it as well and I think he's a hoot.  And lastly, the movie that I was very surprised about:  The Amazing Spider-Man.  It was very entertaining, well acted, well written, looked fabulous, and didn't suffer from too much CGI abuse.  Only toward the end with the lizard creature did it get a little shady, but all-in-all it was a really good movie and I highly recommend it.  That's saying a lot as I am not really a fan of super hero movies.  (Case in point:  Marvel's The Avengers was on the other night and I just could not take it.  I can't stand Samuel L. Jackson(another one who can't speak his lines without slurring [and thinks he's hot shit]) and there was just too much crappy looking CGI effects.  I couldn't take it and shut it off after a few minutes.

So there's your movie reviews.  Thank you, drive though.

8 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Okay, we have rather different opinions on some of these movies. I've never seen Magic Mike or Moonrise Kingdom so I'll have to take your word on those.

Coincidentally I watched Dark Shadows this morning. I liked it mostly as well. It's not terribly original but the acting was good and the cinematography was very well done.

I could say a lot about Prometheus but I won't here. I'll agree that the movie has its faults.

The Amazing Spider-Man... is definitely watchable but I really hated the cheesy ending with the cranes.

Marvel's The Avengers was on the other night and I just could not take it.

:( You're breaking my heart a little here, M'am. I mean, I know it's not perfect but you couldn't stand watching it? Really?

Anyway, are there any movies you're looking forward to watching?

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:53:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

I've never seen Magic Mike

Don't bother. I think only gay guys(that's where I got the recommendation) and very immature women like that movie.

I really hated the cheesy ending with the cranes.

Ah, yes...I forgot about that. That was retarded. I liked that movie a lot until the end--then it started to abuse the CGI. I can't take over-the-top shit like that. Still, overall, it was a good movie.

you couldn't stand watching it? Really?

Very sorry to break your heart on that one, sir, but once I'm rubbed the wrong way on something it's hard to un-rub it. ;P

are there any movies you're looking forward to watching?

Definitely Red2. The first one was pretty good IMO.

I saw that one with Charlize Theron last night called Young Adult. It was quite disturbing. I'm not sure where the writers/director were trying to go with that. Cautionary tale? Showing what a delusional sociopath or narcissist looks like? :::shudders::: Wasn't terrible, just...O_o

Sooooo Arekino... are you of the tongue rolling R's persuasion or not?

Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:12:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I'm not sure where the writers/director were trying to go with that.

AFAIK the protagonist was living in denial of her bad situation and got over it in the end. So, personal growth, yaaay. :P

are you of the tongue rolling R's persuasion or not?

I'm a bit of a hybrid R pronunciator. When I still worked in the Hague doing IT support my pronunciation of the R became more like the locals'. My accent changes depending on where I am and who I'm with anyway. I adapt... or get assimilated, I guess. ;P

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

the protagonist was living in denial of her bad situation and got over it in the end

Too much of a Hollywood ending IMO. When you are *that* delusional and coo coo for cocoa puffs like she was, I just don't see the quick turn around like that. She reminded me of Regina during the curse. O_o

When I still worked in the HagueMy accent changes depending on where I am and who I'm with anyway.

Oh yeah, I do that, too. Sort of an accent chameleon. Not quite as bad as that dude in that Woody Allen movie. ;P I catch myself doing that without thinking about it. Then I have the dilemma of should I revert back to my natural way of speaking or not?

Anyway, I was just wondering about all this because I am such a nerd and think about these sorts of things. Whenever I look at websites in Dutch, I've noticed that there are some words that are the same in Spanish. I was wondering if there were some Spanish words/pronunciations that rubbed off during the occupation all those years ago. Yeah, etymology nerd! ;P

Monday, June 24, 2013 12:20:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I was wondering if there were some Spanish words/pronunciations that rubbed off during the occupation all those years ago.

Not a lot, I think. It's hard to tell. Dutch has adopted a lot of words from German, French, English, Italian, Hebrew and probably Spanish as well. I can't think of any right now though.

I've noticed that there are some words that are the same in Spanish.

Which words?

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Yeah, it's basically a melange like with English.

Which words?

Just off the top of my head: bibliotheek and pagina. Of course, it's spelled 'biblioteca' in Spanish. 'Pagina' is the same spelling and I'm assuming it means 'page' as well. Always dangerous to assume, though. ;)

Then again, it could just be a case of garden variety Latin encroachment like with English. ;P

Arekino, when you worked in the Hague, did you live there as well or was it a looooong commute?

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:35:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

a case of garden variety Latin encroachment like with English. ;P

Yes, those two words are Latin based. We copied them from the Romans. Pagina can also be translatde as bladzijde though.

did you live there as well or was it a looooong commute?

It was a long, boring (and quite hot - I worked there mostly during the summer months) commute. They gave me a company car, which was nice.

So how far would you travel for a job?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

and quite hot

Is A/C not a standard feature in cars as well?

They gave me a company car, which was nice.

That *is* nice. I wish I had a company car. :/

So how far would you travel for a job?

Occasionally, I've had to travel to Palm Beach a few times in the past. I think it's an hour and 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hour drive one way via expressway. I was asked once to go to Orlando for something but that was just a bridge too far and not worth all the time and effort.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home