Wednesday, June 05, 2013

"Baking" Experiment and Ragging on Hollywood

Because my mother "knows" so much, and because I like to prove that she doesn't know as much as she thinks she knows, I did a little experiment last night.  We have a small jar of active dry yeast that is just slightly past its "best by" date.  She claimed that it is expired and was no longer any good because when I made pizza the other night, the dough didn't rise.  I said this was because I got the water too hot.  She said it was because the yeast was no good.

Well, to prove one way or the other, I warmed a bit of water in the microwave.  I tested it with my finger to make sure it wasn't too hot.  I added a bit of sugar and some yeast.  Then I had to go to the store for some things.  When I got back, lo and behold!  the yeast had frothed, proving that it was still good.  So not wanting to waste it,  I made a little bit of dough(after my mother went to bed, of course!).  I was a bit lazy as it was late and didn't want to unload all the crap out of the oven and wait for it to heat up and wait for the bread to bake so I got to wondering if I could "bake" the bread in the microwave.

I consulted the internet and there was a post that said that it was possible although it would not get brown, but to set the microwave to 40% power.  It didn't say for how long so I just had to guess.  I set my microwave to 50% power and the time for 5 minutes.  After about 30 seconds, the bread started puffing up to about double its original size.  When it started to smell like baking bread, I stopped the microwave.  I think it was almost in there for 4 minutes.  It didn't look very appetizing as it wasn't brown, but it was soft and had the texture of Little Caesar's Crazy Bread.  So I made my own version of Crazy Bread and sprinkled it with olive oil, a little garlic powder, and some Parmesan cheese.  It wasn't too bad!

Now, for the other thing!  When I was scanning the program guide for something to watch last night, there wasn't anything good, so I ended up watching a program called Nothing But Trailers.  It was all movie trailers for current movies.  And I know that I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with my complaints, but if Hollywood would just come up with something original and stop making the same redundant crap then I wouldn't be complaining!

It's always the same old crap, though.  Sequels, superhero movies, remakes, stupid sci-fi and disaster movies, and gawd awful teen romance movies.  Blech!  There was the new Superman movie, which didn't actually look that bad and was probably the best of the lot, and then a lot of other unoriginal crap.  There is a Carrie remake with Julianne Moore and that chick from Let Me In, some awful looking movie called The Conjuring which looked to me like a ripoff of Amityville, a Lone Ranger movie of all things with Johnny Depp as Tonto which looked incredibly bad and totally groan-worthy, a movie called Pacific Rim which is the new Del Toro one but looks like a ripoff of the old Voltron cartoon, some crap sci-fi with Jodie Foster called Elysium IIRC, World War Z with Brad Pitt which looked incredibly stupid, and some awful teen romance/demon slayer flick called The Mortal Instruments with the guy who played King Arthur from the Camelot series and the chick who plays Cersei on Game of Thrones.

Like I said, it all looked like crap except for Superman.  Nothing particularly original for any of them.  Hollywood has become so unoriginal that I can't recall the last time I actually paid to go see a movie in a theater.  That and people are complete douches since the advent of cell phones and cannot leave them the fuck alone long enough to watch a movie.  I can't stand being around people in theaters any more with their constantly playing with their smartphones or texting or just fooling around and making noise.  It's all very distracting and makes for a most unpleasant experience.
*
*
*
And because my mother is a total cunt, she *insisted* on going to the Walmart out in Miami Lakes to look for a pair of reading glasses tonight, even when it is late and she has to go out there next Tuesday.  I knew it was going to be a terrible experience just by the fact that it was after 8pm and there is nothing keeping her from taking her sweet-ass time about it. Three fucking hours in there!  And the worst part, she had to embarrass me in front of people. 

She is fucking impossible to shop with.  She'll say, 'Oh!  Let's go look at such and such!' and then when you go to walk there thinking that she is just behind you, she is nowhere to be found, because she gets distracted from point A to point B and is lost somewhere along the way and then you have to backtrack to find her.  This happens the whole time while you're there. 

So one of these times, I had to backtrack because she got distracted by some men's sandals.  She calls me back and asks me if I like them.  I say no, they are men's.  Then she has to say in a very loud voice in front of people, "Oh, but you wear men's underwear!"  Ex-fucking-scuse me?!?  I do NOT wear men's fucking underwear!!!  I was so appalled and mortified that I was on the verge of dropping trou to show off my string bikini NOT MEN'S underwear.  I swear, I don't know where she comes up with the shit that she says.

I really wanted to not have to complain about her for at least one post, but she aggravates me so bad that it is almost impossible.  I have to vent or I'll go mental.  Aaaaarrrrgh!!!!!

14 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

It wasn't too bad!

I used to have an oven with a stove on top in my old house but if I ever get out of here I'm just going to buy a microwave oven and cook *everything* in that thing. It's easier, more efficient and it takes up less room.

It's always the same old crap, though.

There are other sources of movies. Like Sweden :) (I wouldn't bother with Dutch movies though)

What's your favourite genre again?

I do NOT wear men's fucking underwear!!!

Seems your mom pushed a big red button there. Were you much younger then?

I have to admit, men's underwear does feel pretty comfortable. ;P

Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Ya know, I was in the middle of writing this post when everything had to come to a screeching halt to go to fucking Walmart. Then, after 3 hours, I totally lost my groove. I forgot all about the trailer for Red2!

I liked the first Red. It was a fun action movie that was fairly tongue-in-cheek and didn't take itself seriously like a regular action movie. And Helen Mirren was hilarious in it.

Red2 has Bruce Willis(as Frank--because all govt assassins and mafia hit men are called Frank! LOL), Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, and Mary Louise Parker back, with the addition of Anthony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta Jones.

It looks like it would be fun to see. :)

I'm just going to buy a microwave oven and cook *everything* in that thing

:O I wouldn't go that far...the microwave is good for some things but I find a GAS stove and oven a necessity for really good gourmet meals! ;P

What's your favourite genre again?

I don't know that I have a favorite. I just like things that are realistic. I've been liking dramas lately. The Millennium series(Dragon Tattoo)was good. I like watching some of the French movies and some of the UK ones. And Australian and NZ productions. The Dutch ones all seem to be of the WW2 genre. I'm just so sick of Hollywood crap.

Seems your mom pushed a big red button there. Were you much younger then?

I am going to state for the record here that I HAVE NEVER WORN MEN'S UNDERWEAR!!! I wear ladies bikini briefs and sometimes string bikini. I have only ever worn underwear made for girls or women.

I have no clue where she comes up with the shit that comes out of her mouth.

The only thing that could possibly be construed as "men's underwear" is the novelty boxers that are given out at parties. And those I don't consider as underwear, they are more like pajamas and are worn as such.

The whole idea is so ridiculous. It just sounds so fucking gross and pervy to say that to me. In my mind, men's underwear are the "tighty whitey" or the hybrid snug boxer-brief ones. It's all so insulting and offensive.

How would you like it if your mother said out loud in front of a bunch of people that you wear a bra and garters or something?

Firstly, it's not true. Secondly, it's done just to be insulting and humiliating. That gets my blood boiling the most when I'm accused of something that is 100% untrue, but said to make me out like some sort of freak or idiot.

I have to admit, men's underwear does feel pretty comfortable. ;P

Ya better watch out, Mister! I might just show up at your door one day and give you a smack on your comfortably wrapped heiney! ;P

Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:56:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

How would you like it if your mother said out loud in front of a bunch of people that you wear a bra and garters or something?

The bra would be silly but I could live with the garters. ;P

but said to make me out like some sort of freak or idiot.

I think I undestand. It doesn't really matter what other people think either, right? It's that your mother - who should love you - is trying to hurt you.

I might just show up at your door one day and give you a smack on your comfortably wrapped heiney! ;P

If you do ever happen to make it over here then I will gladly lend you a paddle.(Which I would need to buy as any decent arlecchino should own one) :D ;P

Thursday, June 06, 2013 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Well, look at you, Arekino! You are exceptionally naughty today!(not that I'm complaining ;P)

The bra would be silly

Because you are not yet old enough for moobs? ;P

It's that your mother - who should love you - is trying to hurt you.

And yet she thinks that she is the greatest mother who ever walked the planet. :::facepalm:::

Actually, this is quite typical NPD behavior. It's the inflated sense of ego. They get on the superiority kick and need to find something to criticize to make them selves feel superior and to provoke a reaction(which gives them a sense of power). I'm pretty awesome and therefore there's not much to criticize ;P so she has to invent something ridiculous and insulting to provoke a reaction. Then when she gets the desired reaction, she can then tell me that I'm "internalizing" it or being "sensitive". It's absolutely maddening.

The other thing they like to do is throw out subtle little barbs that the victim picks up on but are subtle enough that bystanders don't really notice so that there is always a plausible deniability.

Her new thing to do to me is to ever so subtly throw out remarks that she thinks I'm a lesbian(because I don't have a boyfriend--mostly her doing, mind you). She won't come out(puns if ya want one! LOL) and call me one to my face, but the men's underwear thing IMO was one of her little jabs.

Did I ever tell you that she is extremely bigoted? She can never speak of certain groups without using pejoratives. She really is a disgusting person.

If you do ever happen to make it over here then I will gladly lend you a paddle.(Which I would need to buy as any decent arlecchino should own one) :D ;P

You are ever so naughty today! What has gotten into you? (It should stay a while! :D ;P ) So naughty that I'm pointing it out a second time. ;) And why don't you have your Arlecchino paddle yet? You are slacking on the job...calls for another smack!

Ya know, when I'm finally free of the old woman, I think one of the first things I'm going to do is go nuts buying kinky toys and clothing. ;P ;P ;P

Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:12:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Did I ever tell you that she is extremely bigoted?

Not that I can recall.

What has gotten into you?

I'm just kidding around. I'm not really into that kind of thing (I think).

I think one of the first things I'm going to do

How's your bucket list doing? Is it getting longer, shorter?

Friday, June 07, 2013 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

I'm just kidding around.

You should do it more often! :) I like your playful side. It's a lot of fun for me. ;)

I'm not really into that kind of thing (I think). :( (just kidding ;) ) It all seems kinda ridiculous to be very serious about that stuff. I think the extent of my "kink" would just be some leather pants and some of those lace-up boots that I liked a while back. Although Iggy used to say that I'd be a good dominatrix and he'd get me a riding crop! LOL I'm not really into that. A bit of rasslin' is fun, though! ;P

How's your bucket list doing? Is it getting longer, shorter?

I actually had one written out a few years ago. I don't remember which book I stuck it in. I should find it and do some revisions. One of my big ones is still Mont St. Michel in France. And maybe that place in the former Soviet Union(I don't remember which country ATM) that has all the old giant Soviet statues. I still have a bit of an interest in old Cold War stuff.

Friday, June 07, 2013 1:55:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

the extent of my "kink"

I guess the kinky stuff is more for more advanced lovers of the sexual arts? You know, for people who've been "at it" for a number years and have gotten bored with vanilla style boinking.

Although I suppose some just can't get off any other way.

I still have a bit of an interest in old Cold War stuff.

Really? Where does that come from?

Saturday, June 08, 2013 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Really? Where does that come from?

IDK, I guess from people trying to scare me as a kid with all the Russians are coming business. And I remember the National Geographic magazines back in the late 70's/early 80's which featured the Soviet Bloc countries.

One in particular showed East Germany and the Wall with the goose-stepping Grenztruppen der DDR and then being teased that they were going to come and get me.

It stuck in my mind to such an extent that when the Communist system finally collapsed and the Wall came down and then the market became flooded with all sorts of trinkets and memorabilia, I bought myself a complete Grenztruppen uniform, complete with the overcoat and everything. The ultimate capturing of the flag in my mind.

Now, because nature loathes a vacuum, and because Americans always have to be #1 in everything, the government here has filled that void left by the Stasi! Woot! Because out govt can do a totalitarian police state WAAAAY better than you slackers!

Oh, BTW, that statue park that I was thinking of is Memento Park in Budapest, Hungary. :)

So what are you up to today, Arekino? I am on break from mowing the lawn. It is wicked hot here today and finally stopped raining(thanks Tropical Storm Andrea!/sarc). I had to come in before I had a heat stroke.

Saturday, June 08, 2013 4:19:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I bought myself a complete Grenztruppen uniform

You must have been quite young at the time. Where the heck did you find such a uniform? Or the money to buy it?

the government here has filled that void left by the Stasi!

Hi there nice people of the NSA. Please don't Take Xul too seriously, she's just kidding ;P

So what are you up to today, Arekino?

Well, I've started reading a new book from the library, So Cold The River by Michael Koryta. It's not great but it's readable so far. I guess it's sort of a supernatural thriller.

I took a short drive in my car, just to see if it still works. I've played some video games. I've read some news articles.

It's getting warm here as well, almost too warm at night. We'll probably get a thunderstorm in a few days, that's what usually happens.

Saturday, June 08, 2013 5:04:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

You must have been quite young at the time.

This was probably around 1990.

Where the heck did you find such a uniform?

A mail order catalog. I got the peaked hat, the helmet, whole uniform...everything but the jack boots! LOL

Or the money to buy it?

I used to save some of my lunch money allowance so I could have money to buy things(other than lunch ;P).

a thunderstorm in a few days

It has been non-stop thunderstorms here the last few days. Stupid Tropical Storm had a looooong tail. Now we should be back to the regular schedule of thunderstorms just in the afternoon. :/

And the enn ess eh can kiss my arse!

Saturday, June 08, 2013 5:57:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Do you have any plans for the summer? There may be more work available when it's sunny, I guess. And how's the economic crisis doing in your neck of the woods?

Sunday, June 09, 2013 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Do you have any plans for the summer?

Yeah, I plan on having to deal with my mother acting like a crazy ass because the stupid jerks on the local news get everyone whipped into a frenzy over hurricane season. She'll likely spend a lot of money unnecessarily on hurricane supplies that we don't need, and that always pisses me off and stresses me out because it's all so stupid and unnecessary.

And how's the economic crisis doing in your neck of the woods?

Well, if you are NOT a citizen then it's all gravy. I have stopped looking at this time because it's all pointless with what I have to deal with here. :(

Sunday, June 09, 2013 3:37:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

that always pisses me off and stresses me out because it's all so stupid and unnecessary.

Isn't it her money she's spending? Does it really matter then?

if you are NOT a citizen then it's all gravy.

So the aliens are out-competing you?

Sunday, June 09, 2013 4:07:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Isn't it her money she's spending? Does it really matter then?


It's complicated and it *does* matter to me.

So the aliens are out-competing you?

It's all political BS that is going on.

Sunday, June 09, 2013 5:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home