Saturday, April 20, 2013

I was going to mow the yard today...

...but by the time I brought up the mower from downstairs and went out back to go get my gas can, the sky had clouded up very threateningly and was starting to sprinkle.  Then it turned into a massive downpour.  Oh well.  Now I am forced to watch the UFC preliminary fights!  There have already been a couple TKO's and knockouts.  One of the TKO's was by liver kick a la Bas Rutten which is one of my favorite ways to end a fight.  I am hoping the main event is as good as the prelims.  There is also a referee who looks like one of the Dwarfs from the Hobbit movie--he has braided mutton chops that are maybe 40 or 50 centimeters long.

Anyway, I know I stated earlier that I wasn't having any cravings for crap, but what I *am* having cravings for is Indian food.  Unfortunately, I don't have many of the ingredients or spices to do a proper Indian dish so I just improvised a rice dish last night.  I used some jasmine rice instead of the basmati rice and I didn't have any fennel seeds but I *did* have some Chinese five spice powder and fennel is one of the ingredients in that, so I just used powdered spices instead of the whole spices.  Basically, it was rice with five spice powder, a little extra cinnamon and clove powder, black pepper, and a bit of cayenne, cook it all in a pot, and voila!  It didn't taste too bad.  Of course the old woman had to make a negative comment about 'what stinks?!?'

I also fried some chicken.  I don't know what it is that the commercial farms are doing to the chickens, but they are HUGE!  Probably feeding them corn with steroids so they can get around the law.  They are not supposed to give the chickens hormones but they sure as hell are doing something to them to make them so big.  I used to buy Perdue chickens.  Now, all I can find in any of the stores is damn Tyson brand.  I held off buying one because they always looked bloody like they weren't killed properly, but I broke down and bought one yesterday because I wanted some chicken.  I don't think I'll buy another one.  I think I might have to break down and buy an "organic" one even though those are almost twice as expensive.  At least they look like a normal chicken and not something from Jurassic Park!  LOL

Between MMA bouts, I have some bulgar wheat soaking so I can next make a recipe I found in a health food cookbook.  It doesn't say, but the recipe looks like it might be Persian.  I have all but one ingredient (snow peas).  It should turn out fine, methinks. 

8 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Now I am forced to watch the UFC preliminary fights!

Well, if you can't work outside, you might as well enjoy yourself inside.

feeding them corn with steroids

Hmmmm, steroids. Yummie...

to make them so big.

Maybe it's just one of the larger types of chickasauruseseses?

found in a health food cookbook

What do you consider health food?

Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

The co-Main Events turned out to be boring like they usually are. :( That's why I like watching the prelims. Those guys are trying to get contracts so they usually fight hard.

I found out what they put in the corn feed--antibiotics. Those make the chickens grow very rapidly to an unnaturally large size.

What do you consider health food?

I misspoke a bit. It was from a "detox" cookbook. IMO, it's just healthy-type recipes--no cooking with sugar or grease. No fatty meats or dairy.

Health food to me is eating mostly fresh vegetables and fruit, avoiding processed grains, and eliminating refined sugar. Meat is okay IMO just keep the portions small. Eating things as they grow in nature, not weird processed Frankenfoods with chemicals and hormones and artificial colors and crap. ;P

Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:55:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

antibiotics

Aren't those just supposed to keep them chickens free from disease?

Health food

That's more or less my definition as well. It's not always possible to eat foods as they grow in nature as nature tends to be bad for business when bugs start eating farmers' crops. Home grown food does tend to taste pretty good. I doubt we'll be breeding any chickens soon in our backyard. Too bad but at least I won't have to kill them myself then.

Did you get round to mowing the yard today? :)

Monday, April 22, 2013 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Aren't those just supposed to keep them chickens free from disease?

Sure, but the funny hing about antibiotics is they make the animals fat. I've actually done a lot of reading on the subject and I could wax long-winded here, but basically antibiotics kill or inhibit bacteria while at the same time feeding fungi. It's the mycotoxins that fungi produce that make ya fat. Corn, which is the main feed for animals(and is one of the main ingredients in most processed food in this country--thanks corn lobbists![that's another story altogether]) is almost universally contaminated with fungi. The fungi feed on sugars/simple carbs/refined grain products and it my belief through much reading of research literature that there is a fungal/yeast connection to most diseases as well as obesity.

nature tends to be bad for business when bugs start eating farmers' crops.

I'm not entirely against pesticides, and that's not what I mean when I say 'as grows in nature'. I'm against crap that is sold that has no resemblance to any recognizable fruit/veg or otherwise and is loaded with chemicals and preservatives.

Too bad but at least I won't have to kill them myself then.

I don't think I could kill a chicken that I raised, either. It would be like killing a pet. I could eat their eggs, though! We have a few peeps around here who keep chickens even though this is a residential area and they are not supposed to have them. I used to hear roosters crowing from all directions and other are always escaped and running free range down the street from me about 2 blocks. LOL

Did you get round to mowing the yard today? :)

I did it Sunday, but not the whole thing. It started clouding up like there was going to be another big thunderstorm so I didn't get to the bit in the back yard before I had to stop. At least everything looks good from the front. I still have the hedges to do. I don't think I'll get to it today--looks like more rain. :O

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:30:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

escaped and running free range down the street

The old - no longer in use - town hall over here has sort of a petting zoo behind it where they also have chickens that sometimes escape and run around the town centre.

How did the Persian recipe taste?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:58:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

How did the Persian recipe taste?

Not too bad. It had more of an Indian flavor, but then there are many common ingredients in that region. If I make it again, I'm using less cumin. That stuff tends to dominate the other spices. I *did* put more powered cloves and cinnamon to make it to my liking. :)

And how are you doing this fine day? Anything new and exciting going on?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:47:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Anything new and exciting going on?

Well, no. I bought a bag of hazelnuts to add to my muesli. It has hazelnuts already but not enough for my taste.

I've been studying a bit. Electronics this time.

Anything new going on in your life?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Anything new going on in your life?

Not really. I was playing out back in the dirt today--pulling weeds around the lime tree and the pineapple patch. I had to come in a couple times because some idiot around here was smoking some very strong-smelling ganja and I *HATE* the smell of that shit!

Now it's getting cloudy again. Hopefully, they'll blow over. I really wanted to finish mowing in the back yard today.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home