Sunday, March 31, 2013

This is supposed to be a movie review...

...but because I'm tired from working in the hot sun, the movie review will come later.  I think I've started a new tradition, though.  Instead of an Easter egg hunt where I find the hidden eggs, today I uncovered all the hidden snakes!  Weeee!!!  Fun!!!

I got to see lots of Game of Thrones today because of the free HBO over the weekend and the premiere of episode one of season three.  Too bad I'll have to wait months and months until there's more free HBO and perhaps a marathon of all the season three episodes that I'll miss until then.

Tomorrow I'll try to get around to my rant on the movie that I wanted to see which turned out to be boring crap.

And now...the rest of the post!

OMG, I just finished reading the damn wiki on A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) because I am too impatient to have to wait until I'm able to see all of season three and it took me nearly an hour and a half to read and digest what is essentially the Cliff's Notes version of the story.  And Martin has two more books to write before the series is finished!  I can say with all honesty that I am too ADD to get through the literally thousands of pages--4,273 combined--of the 5 finished books.  I have no idea how long that much reading would take me.  I HATE reading through long books. I barely have the attention span to get through 200 pages. Martin doesn't have a style conducive to easy reading, IMO.  Oy!

Anyway, I got to see the first episode of season three last night and then, not realizing it until almost 3/4 of the way through, I got to see a sneak preview of the second episode tonight on the Blockbuster preview channel which is something that my satellite provider has.  I didn't realize it because I was in the process of reading the wiki.  Sooooo...I pretty much have satisfied my curiosity and now know most of the outcomes and won't be too pissed at having to wait to see season three.  From the way they are doing the TV series, season three looks like it could catch up with the books that are currently out.  Martin needs to get writing so the TV series can have a season four and a conclusion!  (Or else they'll just have to stretch out the TV series.)

Now, about that movie review that I meant to do!  I was waiting to see Snow White and the Huntsman and luckily for me it was one of the movies shown on the free HBO weekend.  I refuse to pay $10 to see a movie in the theater when it will eventually be on TV a few months after its release. 

Like most Hollywood movies these days, it looked really good visually but was boring as hell.  The top billed actors sucked ass, especially Kristen Stewart, who I hate with a passion.  I can't stand looking at her dumb face and her perpetually open mouth.  I just want to slap the shit out of her.  How anyone could cast her in the role of Snow White is beyond me.  And the notion that she would be "fairer" than Charlize Theron is laughable.  The whole movie I was cheering for the Queen or her minions to kill her, even though I already knew what the outcome would be. 

The one surprising thing was who was cast as four of the Seven Dwarves: Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, and Nick Frost.  Unfortunately, as much as I like those guys, and as awesome as they usually are, even they couldn't save this craptastic movie.  My main problem with it was the lack of character development. Everyone already knows what the plot is, at least give the characters some personality. The whole thing was just flat and boring and Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth just sucked so bad.  Thumbs down.

8 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

uncovered all the hidden snakes!

Yikes! So what did you do with them?

I'm feeling a bit tired as well. I think it has to do with the Daylight Saving Time thing. I basically lost an hour yesterday.

Monday, April 01, 2013 1:30:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

I let the snakes go free. Then they can go make more snakes. I don't like to kill any critters unless they are dangerous. It was just a couple teeny ring-necks and a couple racers, but one of the racers was pretty big.

Daylight Saving Time thing I hate Daylight Savings Time. We started ours a few weeks ago. I wish they'd just leave the bloody time alone.

Monday, April 01, 2013 2:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read "Fevre Dream" by George Martin? I haven't read anything else by him, but I read this one because it was about vampires!

Do you have rattlesnakes in Florida, by the way?

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:15:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

No, I haven't read that one. I'm going to look into some of his short stories, though. I like the idea of the sci-fi/fantasy/historical fiction with a bit of the supernatural thrown in. I just can't do these epic-length books. I just don't have enough time for it.

Do you have rattlesnakes in Florida, by the way?

Yes. Two kinds, actually. There are the Eastern Diamondbacks and the Pygmy rattlers. I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild, though. I've seen a few Water Moccasins when I was a kid. There are also coral snakes which are very poisonous but I've never seen one of those in the wild, either. Florida is basically snake heaven.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:25:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I wish they'd just leave the bloody time alone.

I completely agree.

I HATE reading through long books.

I loooove a long book if it's a good one.

Kristen Stewart, who I hate with a passion

You know Ms Stewart personally ?!? :o ...Oh, you hate her (lack of) acting abilities. ;P That's understandable. :)

It's weird, in movies she comes across as unnaturally unfazed (she actually never seems "in" a movie) and in interviews she tends to be rather nervous.

Everyone already knows what the plot is

So does Snowy end up with the huntsman at the end or does she find her prince?

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

So does Snowy end up with the huntsman at the end or does she find her prince?

Snow bites the apple, "croaks", and then the huntsman awakens her with a kiss instead of the prince. The Queen is defeated. The end. And that's it. It's not like she even ended up with him. I'm like, WTF? There was such a lack of emotion throughout the whole movie. You would have never known that the huntsman had feelings for her. It just sucked. so. bad. Bad writing, bad directing, bad casting, bad acting.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:57:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Bad writing, bad directing, bad casting, bad acting.

Well, at least it was free. :)

I've been watching a bunch of movies as well these past days. I always borrow 4 movies or so from the library because there's a good chance I won't like 3 of them. Luckily I liked them all this time. One was "28 Weeks Later" with Robert Carlyle in it. I think you know him? :)

Do you ever to the library BTW? Do they have DVDs there?

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Yes, I like Robert Carlyle. I just recently saw a couple movies with him. I re-watched Trainspotting a week or so ago. I had seen the movie a couple times before but I hadn't seen it in a long time and it happened to be the best thing on.

Then there was this one called Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School that he and John Goodman were in. It wasn't bad.

28 Weeks Later was the sequel, correct? I can't recall if I saw that one or not.

Do you ever to the library BTW? Do they have DVDs there?

I never go to the libraries around here(or anywhere else for that matter). The last time I went to the big library(which is probably two miles from my house)was when I was still in high school.

Recently, they opened a new branch in the old strip mall by the Winn Dixie which is probably about two miles away as well.

Both are always stuffed to the rafters with people using the free computers and wi-fi. I hate crowded places so I just avoid them.

I know that they do DVD rentals because my friend's husband was a cheapskate and would get his movies from the library instead of paying the dollar or two to rent from the Redbox or video store.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home