Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Black and White Dreams

I used to not like white kitchens because they look too generic, but recently on the television, there has been an IKEA commercial featuring a kitchen with white cabinets and black subway tiles as the back-splash and now I am totally obsessed with that look.

I have always been attracted to black and white prints in clothing and bedding, so why not in the kitchen or the rest of the house for that matter?  I think it has to do with being so enmeshed with my mother for so many years.  I kinda took on some of her tastes in things.  I think it mainly had to do with having to agree with her in all things.  If you do not agree with her in all things, she will brow-beat you and make life hell in general until you agree so it's just easier to agree.  I think agreeing in things of taste just happened subconsciously.

Well, now that I am not a child and am discovering what appeals to me, I am reconsidering black and white for my kitchen.  If my mother ever croaks and leaves the house to me, it is in serious need of a renovation and the kitchen will likely get it first.

The below picture I posted because I mainly like the basket-weave pattern flooring and the black(I'm assuming granite) counter tops.



This bathroom shows an example of the black subway tiles.  I think they look really good in black.  I actually like this look for a bathroom.  It has a nice clean look to it.  I don't care for the pedestal sink, though.  I'd prefer a wall mounted one like I have now.  And the flooring looks okay, except I'd lay the tiles on the diagonal.



Next is a kitchen with black cabinets.  They look less cheap than the white ones.  It's making me do all sorts of rethinking.  Maybe put half and half?  I don't care for the white subway tile.  I'm creative;  I'm sure I'll figure something out.



This one I posted because I like the grey marble tiles.



So, wa'dya think?

8 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

>So, wa'dya think?

I think it needs a splash of color here and there. But that's me. I had my living room walls all painted in different colors so...


My sister would really like this, I bet. She's always been a fan of the black and white approach to interior decorating.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Your sister sounds like an interesting person. :)

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want the whole house in black and white. I like strong colors, too. I have cayenne-red towels and rugs for my bathroom.

I like different things for different rooms.

I had my living room walls all painted in different colors so... Didn't you have one wall a sorta orangey-yellow? That's a color I like, too.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:10:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Didn't you have one wall a sorta orangey-yellow?

It was like:


G yellow door orange B
r l
e u
e e
n
window window window

I had wallpaper before this. I hated it but had to leave it on until it had outlived its value. If I ever get to live in another house I'll seriously consider an all-white interior. With inflatable, transparent furniture, Or maybe a classic Japanese setup, tatami mats and all.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Your old color scheme wasn't too bad.

all-white interior. With inflatable, transparent furniture Seriously? Or are you pulling my leg? I think that would get old real fast. O_o

Or maybe a classic Japanese setup, tatami mats and all. My uncle(dad's brother)and his wife used to have a Japanese-style house. It was really cool. It had the blue tile roof with the turned-up tips, the shoji screens and the Japanese style garden.

I always thought it would be kinda cool to have a big piece of property and have an area with a Japanese garden and a little tea ceremony type house. I like some things Japanese but not the whole thing. I like some Chinese style things, too. I have kinda eclectic tastes. If it looks cool or unique...think Addams Family without the decrepitude. ;P

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 6:22:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...


Or are you pulling my leg?

Weeeeeeellll, maybe a little... :P My inner child likes the idea though. The furniture wouldn't be white but brightly colored and perhaps lit from the inside. And if I want a change I can use the walls as projection screens.

My uncle(dad's brother)and his wife used to have a Japanese-style house.

Were they Japanese themselves?

I like some Chinese style things, too.

The traditional stuff is pretty good.

OUAT's 1st season has come to an end here. I guess I'll have to wait a while for season 2. :/

Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

use the walls as projection screens There's a show on one of the home and garden channels that shows unusual homes and there was one in Australia that had a projector on one of the outside walls. Pretty neat.

Were they Japanese themselves? Nope. My uncle is Dutch/Portuguese like my dad and my aunt is some sort of German concoction IIRC. I guess they were having a Japanese phase.

The traditional stuff is pretty good. Indeed. We have some pretty cool oriental stuff ATM. :)

OUAT How long do you have to wait? I have been trying not to look at spoilers but I am a weak, weak, woman when it comes to that. I took a look at just the titles to the final 7 episodes of season 2. I'm not sure I likey. And one little sneak peek at some pics for the next episode "The Miller's Daughter" and I just might be very, very mad at the outcome there. }:-(> <---sad devil

I don't like seeing really good villains bite it.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:41:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

How long do you have to wait?

Unknown. It's all Beauty And The Beast next week. Not a show I like. Kristin Kreuk falling for another superman... :(

I don't like seeing really good villains bite it.

Yeah, sometimes you just want to see the bad guys win. Just for once. ;)

We've had a warm couple of days this week. I think I've had some spring fatigue issues.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:39:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Beauty And The Beast Barf.

Not a show I like. ^Me neither. I think I watched part of one episode and I just couldn't take it.

sometimes you just want to see the bad guys win. I know that I'm in the minority on this, but I love Cora. Yes, she's an evil and ruthless asshole, but she's very proficient at it! LOL

We've had a warm couple of days this week. We have had the opposite. We had a cold couple of days. This morning was downright frigid for here. I had to wear my leather coat AND a sweatshirt when taking my mother to her doc this morning. I was wishing I had worn my gloves, too. BTW, I was up a little before 7am this morning and I didn't go back to bed when I got home. I didn't feel too bad all day today. I guess I got enough sleep to not feel shitty. That and the wee half pint o' beer that I had just before bed. :)

I think I've had some spring fatigue issues. What's that? Is it like seasonal affective disorder? (I almost called it "defective" disorder. LOL)

Thursday, March 07, 2013 6:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home