Friday, February 08, 2013

Missed Opportunities: Marketing FAIL


I’m going to give you all a break from my bitching about my psycho old people and switch gears a bit to one of my other favorite subjects—Once Upon A Time. In fact, I’m going to make an appeal to the powers that be at ABC/Disney.

Dear Muckety-mucks at ABC/Disney,

Whoever it is that you have working for you in your marketing department really sucks at the job. They are really missing the boat when it comes to merchandising with regards to the show Once Upon A Time. This is a very popular show and there are many people who would like to show their support for this show by buying merchandise. However, there isn’t much merchandise to be had.

For example, one of the themes of this show is True Love. Now, next week is Valentine’s Day. Are there any Once Upon A Time themed Valentine’s Day cards or merchandise to be found? No, I don’t think so. If there are, I certainly haven’t seen any. Your company is missing a golden opportunity here.

Also, I haven’t seen any of the usual standard merchandise for this show. No t-shirts, posters, etc. What are you paying a marketing department for if there is no merchandise being marketed?

So I implore you, do yourselves a favor and hire me. I am an artist and very creative and witty and I can come up with some awesome designs to make us all some big moolah and to please all the Once Upon A Time fans out there.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Xul

PS You can check out my demotivators as a sample of my work.
*
*
*
Unfortunately, I am busy this weekend doing “stuff” so I don’t have the time to make up some awesome OUAT Valentine’s Day cards. I’ll probably try to make some after Sunday night. I already have a couple good ideas in mind.

12 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

I haven’t seen any of the usual standard merchandise for this show.

Really? Have you seen this and this?

I haven't found any OUAT Valentine cards.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 2:56:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Yes, I know about those, but that stuff SUCKS! I don't want a shirt with "Once" across the front. I want shirts with the characters. (the prints are okay, though) I said that there wasn't *much* official stuff. I mean, come on! Disney is supposed to be the home of "imagineers" and that's the best they can do?

With all the great characters, all the great lines, and all the different ways to market? Puh-lease.

When Napoleon Dynamite came out, there was a serious marketing BLITZ. They had every imaginable thing with ND themes. I myself have a couple t-shirts and some window clingy things. My ex-friend Carol was into it too and I bought her ND birthday cards and assorted crap. They really are missing the boat on this.

I haven't found any OUAT Valentine cards. Not to worry, I'll make ya one! ;P

Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

but that stuff SUCKS!

I have to agree.

They really are missing the boat on this.

Maybe you should send them a letter for real?

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:20:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Maybe you should send them a letter for real? I should send them *that* letter. Verbatim. It's ballsy and just might get someone's attention. I'm finding that the older I get, I just don't care how incorrigible I come across.

In other news, all went well yesterday with that thing I had to do and I got home in time to see Once so I was a very happy camper. :)

Monday, February 11, 2013 1:24:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I am busy this weekend doing “stuff”

Anything fun? Or just the regular house work?

I've been watching other people celebrate "carnaval" and babysitting my nephews 2 nights in a row.

Oh, and I've watched a Danish/Swedish TV-series (DVD/library) called "The Bridge"(Bron/Broen). Pretty good stuff.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Anything fun? Or just the regular house work? I had to go to Palm Beach for some $. It was nice to get out of the house for a few hours.

That Carnival thing is nuts. We have lots of Brazilians in SoFla so I know how they are. They celebrate Carnival in your neck of the woods? Is that what your sis is up to?

Oh, and a Kung Hei Fat Choi to ya!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:08:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Kung Hei Fat Choi

The Chinese New Year? You keep track of that?

They celebrate Carnival in your neck of the woods?

Carnaval, yes. Some samples

Is that what your sis is up to?

For 4 straight days now. I don't know how she manages it.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

The Chinese New Year? You keep track of that? Sure.

For 4 straight days now. I don't know how she manages it. Holy shit! WTF? She's a real party animal, huh?

We don't have any Carnival celebrations here. The only thing they have is the Mardi Gras thing in New Orleans. Everything has gone weird in this country in the last few years. Not much media coverage of holidays.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:42:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

She's a real party animal, huh?

She's hogging all the party genes. Wish she'd give some to me. :P

Everything has gone weird in this country in the last few years.

People still party in the USA, don't they?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

She's hogging all the party genes. Wish she'd give some to me. :P Doesn't seem fair. You deserve to have some fun, too.

People still party in the USA, don't they? Sadly, not much any more. If they did, I'd still have a job.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:09:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I'd still have a job.

I'm sure things will improve. Keep your hopes up :)

How's the writing going? I've just found out the origin of that little feud that Snow and Regina have going on BTW. And met Regina's mother.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

How's the writing going? I had a creative burst a week or so ago now I have writer's block. Also, I'm rethinking something I wrote. Maybe go in a slightly different direction with one little thing. Now I've got myself in an uncreative funk and I might not be able to deliver on mu OUAT Valentine's cards. :(

So you've gotten to ep 1.17? Excellent. And you've met my mother? ;)

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home