Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Research

For someone who is writing a fanfic just for my own personal enjoyment, I sure am doing an awful lot of research.  I guess I'm just a wee bit OCD when it comes to getting details correct.  That's probably not such a bad thing.  At least my story will seem realistic.

I was writing some dialogue for two characters and I had one character sarcastically tell another character that they should try reading the book 'How to Win Friends and Influence People.'  Then I realized that I have never read that book myself so maybe I should read it so that I could better understand what that character was talking about.

Well, thanks to the internet and the fact that that book is pretty old, I found it in a PDF format and promptly saved a copy.  Fortunately for me, the book is only a couple hundred pages and it didn't take me very long to get through it.  As I was reading though, I came to the realization that most of the techniques that are suggested in the book are things that I have adopted over the last several years.  How cool is that?  I have definitely become way less assholish.  I shudder to think how I used to be in my late teens through late twenties.  Unfortunately for me, I don't get out much or have much interaction with many people any more.  Basically, the book can be summed up in the Golden Rule:  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The other thing that I was researching was classical guitar music, especially the flamenco genre.  And not that I didn't already know it, but Charo is a kick-ass classical guitar player.  I'm going to have to buy one of her CDs.  She's just that good.  I'm very particular about the style in which the musician plays.  I don't care for heavy plucking and a herky-jerky style.  I like a smooth and precise style.  Another guitarist who I think is totally brilliant and very under-rated in my opinion is Robby Krieger of The Doors.  I absolutely love the way he plays the Asturias and Malaguena inspired pieces in the song Spanish Caravan.  It is beautiful.  I could listen to him play classical and flamenco all day long.

And one odd thing.  There is a new member at a certain fan site who posted the other day something that if I didn't know better, I'd think that this person lifted a scene from my fanfic.  This person came to the realization that one character had been completely played by another character.  My scene was that it was the realization of a character that another character had been completely played by a third character.  Only in my estimation, I took it a bit farther in that, yes, character one had indeed been played by character two, but with the collaboration of a third character.  Character three did this to gain a certain thing, but was ultimately played by character two, who then had character one all to his/herself to really manipulated the hell out of. A very sick and diabolical thing it was, too.  Sorry, I can't spell it out any more than that or else it will be spoilers galore.  I think that I will be proven correct by the end of Season 2.  I'm hoping that the two characters who were played come to the realization themselves and enact their revenge.  That would be totally sweet.

7 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

I guess I'm just a wee bit OCD when it comes to getting details correct.

I'm pretty sure most good writers are like that.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Personally, I prefer "What goes around, comes around" , "Don't shit where you sleep" and "Don't be a chump" :)

at a certain fan site

Nice to hear you feel right at home there. Always good to expand your friend circle.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:56:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Always good to expand your friend circle. I wouldn't say I'm friends with anyone there. One person in particular I strongly dislike. A young attention-whore who thinks she is intelligent but is greatly lacking in life experience and manners. It's to the point when I see her avatar on a post I just skip reading it. The 2 French ladies are reasonable as well as one guy who I'm not sure where he's from. A guy from upstate NY and another chick from maybe Europe are likeable. Then there's 2 peeps who like to argue with each other. Those exchanges are pretty fun. Most just fun reads for me as no one seems to be in my time zone or on the site when I'm on.

Oh Arekino, I'd love to post what I've written so far but there are too many spoilers for you since I'm writing about things after ep 12 of S2.

And another problem I'm having is imagining a suitable actor for a certain character. I just don't find any current actors personally appealing. That dude who played Graham? He was in Miami with his GF over the weekend and someone got some pics of them at the beach. Gah, the dude is soooo skinny and unmanly just like most actors. Sorry, but I like some meat and muscle! Stephan Bonnar should go into acting. At least give me something to look at.

Sorry about the rant. I'm sure you really wanted to hear my complaints about the lack of appealing men! ;P LOL

Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:59:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

there are too many spoilers for you

I'll just have to wait then.

I'm sure you really wanted to hear my complaints about the lack of appealing men

Well, isn't that one thing friends (or pen pals) are for? :)

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:24:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

"What goes around, comes around" , "Don't shit where you sleep" and "Don't be a chump" :) Or "Do unto others, then run," "Speak softly and carry a big stick," and "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!" LOL

Well, isn't that one thing friends (or pen pals) are for? :) I suppose! :)

It's a shame that there's such a lack in dark haired, blue eyed, 6ft. tall 185 pound men who can cook and are well read and are sturdy enough to deal with me. ;)

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:59:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

such a lack in ... men

They're out there... somewhere.

are sturdy enough to deal with me.

Now you've got me wondering what happened to the men who weren't sturdy enough ;P

Friday, February 01, 2013 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

I'll leave it to your imagination. ;P

I had a bit of a writing burst last night. I wish they'd hurry up and get you caught up to season 2. Part of what I wrote wouldn't spoil anything but the first part of it would. I'm starting to enjoy this writing thing. :)

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:26:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I wish they'd hurry up and get you caught up to season 2.

It's already 2 episodes after another every Wednesday ATM. They do say patience is a virtue :)

Friday, February 01, 2013 4:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home