Sunday, July 01, 2012

One of the Many Reasons Why I Don't Listen to My Mother

At my house there is a crawl space that sits between the two attic spaces-one upper and one lower(split-level house). For as long as I can remember it has been used for storage. It had a massive amount of old suitcases in there and they were all nasty with attic funk and the hardware on them was rusty from the heat and humidity. I have a nice new set of luggage and the likelihood of these old nasty things ever being used again was nil so the decision to toss them was made.

While I was taking them out to the truck for their trip to the dump, I noticed that one of them felt heavy like there was something inside. Being late in the day and since the dump closed early, the luggage got to sit out in the truck until the next day. So the next day I decided to take all the luggage out one by one and do a thorough search since I couldn't remember exactly which one felt like it still had some contents. So my mother was like, "Oh, I don't know why you're bothering with that! I would *never* leave anything in there!" So I ignored her. I knew that one of them felt heavy and I was going to find out what was in there.

Like I said, most of the latches were rusted and I couldn't get some of them open but it was obvious that they were empty. One of the little toiletry cases had some old soap and some other assorted crap. Then next to last was our winner! Lo and behold, I open it up and there are a bunch of old framed pictures that I remember from my grandmother's house! A pic of my great-grandmother, one of my great-grandfather, another one of my great-grandmother and a great aunt, one of my aunt when she was in the army, and my grandfather's expert .38 caliber pistol certificate from the Coast Guard. Yeah, I like how nothing would EVER have been left in the luggage.

So I called my mother out to take a look at what I had just found. She was quite surprised. I told her that that was one reason why I don't listen to her. LOL She had no real reply other than she can't think of how those pictures got in there. Well, I don't know either but I'm very happy to have found them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Ah, treasure hunting is so much fun. The attic was my favourite place in the house when I was a kid. I mean, it was kinda creepy as well but my parents had all sorts of crap stored up there so there was lots of discovering to do.

These days the attic is where my bed is located. It's a different house though.

Are you going to hang those pictures on a wall?

Monday, July 02, 2012 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Your current attic sounds like a fun place to explore...the lair of the Arekino-beast! ;P My attic is not much more than crawl space filled with insulation except the part where the suitcases were.

Are you going to hang those pictures on a wall? They are already being proudly displayed.

Monday, July 02, 2012 11:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home