Monday, June 25, 2012

Classical: Hell Yeah!


The first music I was ever exposed to was classical. My mother had a whole collection of classical records(those big, round vinyl things) that she used to like to play so it would appear that she was "cultured." She probably *did* enjoy them, too. I think she mostly played the Beethoven ones. I guess exposure to classical music is also supposed to be good for the development of children's brains. Maybe that's why I'm a smarty-pants.

Anyhoo, my tastes in classical have changed over the years. In junior high school I was into Mozart. After I was out of school I got into Bach and was introduced to Carl Orff's Carmina Burana by a guy friend at work. I'm not really into opera but Carmina Burana really kicks some serious ass. It's nice and powerful like much of Bach's work. I'm actually listening to it right now as I'm writing this.

At one place I used to work, at different times throughout the year, a particular local opera company used to come and perform. We also from time to time would be able to sign up for complimentary tickets for the employees. Of course when I found out that Carmina Burana was one of the shows that they were going to be performing for that year I got very excited at the chance that they might be giving comps for that particular performance. Well, one of the other employees who had worked there for a long time said that that particular opera company didn't give comps as the full price to attend was very expensive even for the nosebleed seats. As I hadn't worked there very long I believed her. I didn't get to see the performance since it was very expensive.

Well, come to find out after having worked there many years, that opera company did sometimes give comp tickets, a few, but it was just that the management and certain others from different departments got first dibs. It was a very cliquish place to work so if you kissed ass with certain people you too could get access to the better shows when comps were given. I'm not one to kiss ass at work so I never went to any shows. The only time free tickets were ever offered to my department was when it was some shitty show and they wanted to make it appear that there were butts in the seats. I don't work there any more and those assholes who still do work there can go screw themselves. They were a bunch of fake-ass bastards who thought they were so cultured because of where they worked but in reality most of them wouldn't know Bizet from Brahms.

One time I had a brief conversation with one of the opera company's peeps and she was surprised that I knew so much about one of the shows. I think it was Carmen. She said most of the peeps working there didn't know a thing about any of the shows. LOL

2 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

She probably *did* enjoy them, too. I think she mostly played the Beethoven ones.

Geesh, I may have to start liking your mother ;)

Maybe that's why I'm a smarty-pants.

I listened to classical music too as a kid and some people do consider me a bit of a smarty-pants. They're usually surprised by how little of my potential I've fullfilled. I guess potential isn't everything. :/

Is Carmina Burana good exercise music then?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

some people do consider me a bit of a smarty-pants. They're usually surprised by how little of my potential I've fulfilled. We should blame the classical! ;)

Is Carmina Burana good exercise music then? I don't know. I guess it could be played in the background. It reminds me of Wagner with the horns and drums but more up tempo in places. It's only around an hour long so it's not like doing a marathon to the Ring Cycle! ;P

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home