Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The Darkness That Presses


While thinking about the poisoned apple sleeping curse that the Queen used on Snow White in OUAT, I've come to the conclusion that if it is anything like sleep paralysis, then it will totally suck for its intended victim. If you have ever experienced sleep paralysis then you know what I mean. If you have not experienced it, you are a very lucky bugger indeed. Let me describe my experiences for you.

The first time I ever had sleep paralysis it was one of the most terrifying things I had ever experienced. I had the sensation that there was something on my back, pressing me down, breathing on the back of my neck and near my ear, and I could not move at all, nor could I speak or scream for help, yet I was fully conscious but couldn't do a damn thing about it. I don't know how long the episode lasted, maybe a few seconds, but the moment I could once again move, I jumped up from my bed and flicked the lights on, scared out of my wits. I hadn't a clue as to what had happened. I'm not one who believes in ghosts or aliens or anything like that, but I knew damn well that I had a frightening experience. It felt like there had been a gollum-like creature on my back.

The second time I experienced it, maybe a few weeks or months later, I don't really remember, I was pissed off like hell and was screaming in my head for the thing to get the fuck off me and when I was finally able to move again I came up out of bed swinging with a spinning back-fist. It's a good thing no one was in the bed with me or else someone may have gotten knocked out!

Well, being skeptical by nature I eventually looked it up on the internet. From what I've read, 1) it usually happens to people who sleep on their backs. I sleep on my stomach. And 2) I was either attacked by a devil or had a neurological event that science can't really explain. Thbbbppp!!!!

So anyway, back to the poisoned apple sleeping curse. It's a very diabolically excellent curse if the victim is conscious yet entombed in his/her body because that sensation is completely terrifying and would suck big time for the victim, yes indeed! Good on the Queen for that one. Too bad we all know what the antidote is!

5 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

The antidote being a kiss from a prince?

Sleep paralysis sounds terrifying. How often do you get that? Maybe you can keep a diary of sorts, make a study of the phenomenon.

In the beginning, did you suspect you-know-who to be causing it?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

The antidote being a kiss from a prince? Well, that's what the fairy tales prescribe. It's funny, though, all the other experiences that people have posted on the intertubes suggest it's something that happens while sleeping solo. Good thing. The second time it happened to me my prince my have gotten a whack! LOL

Sleep paralysis sounds terrifying. Oh, it is! How often do you get that? I've only had it twice.

In the beginning, did you suspect you-know-who to be causing it? It literally felt like a little devil on my back. I didn't know what to think. I just assume there are reasonable explanations for such things.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:35:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

LOL I wasn't thinking of Big D there, more like Big M. I suppose even that would be far-fetched.

I would also think of a rational explanation first (and last :)

Hey, how's the weather on your side of the Atlantic? Any hurricanes to look forward to?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Okay, now I'm confused. What did you mean by "you know who" and who are Big D and Big M?

The weather has been excessively rainy here. The "experts" said that the La Nina weather pattern has ended so I guess we are back to an El Nino cycle. It's just as I remember the summers being when I was a kid...rained damn near every day and we never had hurricanes. It seems like it goes in 20 year cycles. We didn't have a big hurricane that I remember for almost 20 years until 1992 which was Hurricane Andrew. Then lots of hurricanes and threats of hurricanes. Now it has been 20 years since Andrew and back to a quiet weather pattern(I hope).

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:26:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Big D = Devil (not so little I guess)
Big M = Maternal Parent (size unknown)

Hurricane Irene came pretty close.

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home