Thursday, April 26, 2012

You put what in your mouth?


So what is the strangest thing you ever ate? I don't know that I've eaten anything particularly strange or unusual except for maybe alligator, but I would consider myself to be an adventurous eater. I just don't understand people who willfully limit the varieties of food they consume. How boring. My friend Lil, who is Colombian, used to say that I was a sophisticated eater. She liked that about me. I didn't freak out if asked to try organ meats or dishes that were very different from what Americans are used to eating.

I've eaten brains, kidneys, livers, pancreas, blood sausage, alligator, eel, quail, quails eggs(taste no different than a chicken's egg), wild boar, squid(the tentacles, fried crispy, are the best!), octopus, beluga caviar(probably the most expensive thing I've eaten), sturgeon, all sorts of fish, raw oysters, clams, mussels, crab, lobster. That's about it. I only mention the seafood because I have known people who refuse to eat any seafood.

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

That's an impressive list of food stuffs you've ingested. I've eaten some of those too. Not the brains or organ meats though. Sea food I'm usually okay with.

The strangest thing I've ever eaten is probably frogs' legs. They tast like chicken but the meat is more tender.

I've eaten a lot of vegetarian dishes in my time. I didn't always know what was in those so who knows what I ate. :)

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

I used to know a French Canadian lady who liked to eat frogs legs. She said the same thing about them. She liked escargot, too.

There were a few other items that I forgot to add to the list. It was late when I made this post. Goat meat, all sorts of fish eggs(and beluga really is superior in taste), tiger prawn, and sweetbreads.

And yeah, you never really know what's in those vegetarian dishes! :) LOL

Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:21:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Never had goat meat. Goat cheese, though, is on of my favorite cheeses. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's really worth it. Don't try bake it 'cause it will lose its flavor.

When I was a kid my mother served purslane once. We all hated it. Never saw it again.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Yes, goat cheese is very good. It's very mild. The meat is a cross between beef and lamb IMO. The Chinese would classify it as a "hot" food.

Purslane, huh? I've never had that particular weed. I once ate what I thought was dandelion from my yard. Just picked it and popped some in my mouth. I later found out it wasn't dandelion. I'm lucky it wasn't poisonous! LOL

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home