Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Not all yerba mate sodas are created equal.

Unless you live in the Americas, you are hardly likely to ever be able to try yerba mate soda. Nevertheless, here's my two cents on the matter.

This


is vile and nasty.

This

mate beer / soda

is yummy and delicious.

The taste of the first one is almost indescribable. It's almost like a cross between banana, bubble gum, and just a hint of mate at the finish. It's so bad that I was unable to finish the bottle that I bought.

The second, however...there can be no mistake that you are drinking a yerba mate beverage. Quite delicious if you like the taste of yerba mate.

Now, the weird thing is if you do a web search for yerba mate soda you are only going to find nasty ass Materva and maybe Iron Beer, which both are of Cuban origin. I don't remember where Mate Beer is from. I could only find *1* picture of it on someone's Flickr page.

I've never had the Iron Beer brand one, but I've seen it described as fruity and sweet which to me means gross and disgusting. So from now on, I'm not going to bother with the other brands.

4 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

fruity and sweet which to me means gross and disgusting.

I take offence. I'm fruity and sweet and I'm rarely gross and disgusting.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:22:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Fruity and sweet is only gross as applied to mate soda. You are not a mate soda!

Now, as far as you being fruity and sweet, sure, it seems that way, but I'd need to do a proper taste taste to determine the validity of that statement, but you don't like me saying such things, so just pretend you didn't read that last bit. }:-)> (((H)))

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:09:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Just to be clear, "fruity" in the sense of "fruity as a nutcake" not fruity in the gay sense.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

LOL I knew you meant option #1. :)

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:08:00 PM  

<< Home