Monday, March 11, 2013

Commentary on OUAT 2.16

Okay, I know I said I would post about "The Miller's Daughter" and try not to spoil it for those who have not seen it yet, but I have no idea how I'll manage to do that.  I guess I'll just have to be tricksy and tiptoe around.  Let me just say that it was a great episode and all the actors brought their "A" game.  Why Robert Carlyle and Lana Parrilla do not have Emmy's yet is beyond comprehension.  These two need their Emmy's, dammit!

If I recall correctly, this episode was written by Jane Espenson.  I've liked her episodes.  Kudos!  And just to touch a bit on a discussion from another forum...It has been brought up by a lot of people that this show is anti-adoption.  That's not really what I want to discuss--the bio family versus adoptive family/family by marriage thing.  What I want to touch on is that someone commented that writers' personal experiences tend to come through in their writing whether they deliberately intend it or not.  If a writer had a bad experience with adoption it would color his/her outlook on the subject.  It might not be deliberate but that attitude could subconsciously come through in the writing.  I have pointed out before that someone seems to have first-hand knowledge of growing up in a family with personality disordered people because there are just too many spot on characterizations for it to be just coincidence.

On last night's episode, I could have run down a checklist of things that I recognize from my own first hand experiences with PD people.  I was okay with the episode until the end.  Then it got a bit too close to home for me.  One of the actors in particular gave a superb performance.  The reaction to the whole situation perfectly conveyed what someone in that position would have been feeling.  (I didn't even bother going into it on the other forum because unless you yourself have been in that sort of situation, then it is hard to empathize or comprehend.  Besides, most of those peeps over there are teens and early 20-ish and lack the life experience to understand.)  After seeking a particular thing your whole life and then to finally get it (but for only 10 seconds) and then have it taken away from you by someone who manipulated you and was a selfish cunt...Let's just say tremendous restraint was shown.  If it had been me and I had magic?  Holy shit!  I would have immediately gone on a two-fisted heart-ripping rampage followed by fireballs galore until the whole town was a smoldering heap!  (The world should be glad I don't have magic! LOL)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the revenge that shall soon commence.  It should be entertaining.  I foresee someone getting disgruntled with the whole situation and running off.  The season finale looks like it will be taking us all off on a pirate ship to Neverland.*

*highlight to reveal spoiler

8 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Given that you couldn't reveal a whole lot, I think you wrote an excellent review.

Gosh darned, I must restrain myself to not. highlight. the. spoiler. ;P

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:47:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Thanks! I don't want to ruin anything so I'll just say that there was one really funny exchange at the beginning and one super-duper ultra-heartbreaking one at the end between the same two characters. It was an awesome episode but very emotional as well.

It's just easier to talk about what I want on my own blog. Then I can call someone a 'cunt' all I want and not have the ban-hammer dropped on me! LOL

Arekino, one of the French chicks has been using this link to watch OUAT. I don't know if that site will work for you. She said to just click links on there until you find one that works.

Have you been doing any more farming? I'm picturing you doing your thing like the picture on one of those romance novels. All sweaty and then you have to take your shirt off to reveal some sexy nom-nom-nom muscles... ;P Okay, I'll stop now. ;)

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Have you been doing any more farming?

Nope. It's not my patch of land. It's my dads' and my sisters' (well, they rent it). I used to help my dad when I was a kid (on another patch of land). I never liked it much. It was usually either cold and windy or too damn hot.

to reveal some sexy nom-nom-nom muscles

Good thing I'm 1000s of miles away or I'd have to spoil that fantasy for you.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Good thing I'm 1000s of miles away or I'd have to spoil that fantasy for you. BOOOOOOO!!!!!

It's a good thing for YOU that I'm 1,000s of miles away or I'd make you start working out! LOL (For my enjoyment, of course! [My Evil Queen side is showing...] ;P )

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:26:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

or I'd make you start working out!

Ouch! You'd better feed me some sweet, sweet sugar first. ;P

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:21:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Sugar, huh? And what kind of sugar would you be referring to? ;P

:::Evil Regal grin:::

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:20:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

See, I wish could answer that in any other way but metaphorically. :/

Ah, no matter. Real sugar isn't really an option for me ATM anyway, I think.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:21:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Real sugar isn't really an option for me ATM anyway, I think. Damn, and I would'a been willing to help ya with whatever kind ya wanted.

Stupid geography! :::shakes fist:::

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home