Monday, November 26, 2012

Regina is not the only one who knows how to whip up a potion.


If you live anywhere in the Southeast of this country, then Palmetto Bugs are likely the bane of your existence.  I have been lucky the last several years because my house has not had any Palmetto Bugs since it was last fumigated for termites.  Seems I got a bit of a two-for-one deal out of that.  Well, it was nice while it lasted.  Now I've noticed that the little bastards have returned.  I started noticing one here and there a couple months ago.  The worst part is knowing that if you see one there are likely hundreds more lurking in the walls, under the lower cabinets and appliances, and God knows where else.  The last straw was when the little bastards started trying to eat their way into my vegetable shortening can.

So that did it.  Last straw.  And I can't stay up all night to try to spray them when they come out so I decided to whip up a little death potion for them.  I remember reading a long time ago that boric acid will kill roaches and that you can make dough balls as bait.  So I did a little web search to refresh my memory and sure enough!  I had remembered correctly that you can mix Borax together with some flour and add a bit of water to it and mix it until it forms a dough.  Then roll bits of the poison dough into little balls the size of a large marble and strategically place them in the cabinets and under the appliances.  Sure enough, just after I did this the other night, the next day when I checked, the bait-balls had been chewed on.  I was delighted!  The stupid things *will* eat anything!

From what I read,  Palmetto Bugs have a longer maturation and gestation period than German roaches so it takes a bit longer to kill off the Palmettos.  (As an aside, as bad as Palmetto Bugs are, it is waaaaay better to have them than German roaches.  German roaches multiply like rabbits and literally get into everything and are NASTY!)  So with my Roach Killing Potion I'm looking at a couple months until total eradication.  That's fine with me.  I'm a patient killer of roaches.

Now to go in a slightly different direction.  Last night's episode of OUAT was pretty good.  There were a couple subtle things that I picked up on that could lead to future awesomeness.  Firstly, the scene where Regina was whipping up the Sleeping Curse potion to put Charming under so he could deliver the message to Snow.  I liked when Henry comes up to her and says, "So this is how you do it."  He seemed intrigued.  It seems like there is a potential for future bonding with him and Regina. (And if the hand holding was any clue.)  Maybe he'll cut her a bit of slack.  Then the scene where Emma says that this is all Regina's fault.  I see future dickishness from Emma toward Regina and maybe it somehow turns Henry off from Emma a bit and more toward Regina.  After all, Regina is trying to reform and is actually doing something good.  Now Emma(when she and the crew finally return from Fairy Tail Land) is going to be acting like an ass toward Regina for no apparent reason.  It's going to make Regina look better in Henry's eyes, in my opinion.  It would be cool if he got seduced a bit into the Dark Side.  It would make for a good story line.  And I must say, Barbara Hershey is absolutely terrifyingly evil in the role of Cora.  She, Lana Parrilla, and Robert Carlyle are such scene stealers!

9 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

RIP roaches! :)

Aren't there those little boxes that you can put around the house to trap the buggers?

there are likely hundreds more lurking in the walls

Seriously, I wouldn't be able to sleep if I thought this. :(

Although I do think that the palmetto bug (Florida woods cockroach) is kinda pretty. Hm, Wikipedia says it stinks? So does your house smell bad now?

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Aren't there those little boxes that you can put around the house to trap the buggers? I don't want them trapped, I want them dead! Besides, those "roach motels" are ineffective IMO. I have a funny story about that from a place I used to work at.

Seriously, I wouldn't be able to sleep if I thought this. :( I think they are pretty much confined to the kitchen. When I was a kid, we had a massive infestation in the house. Luckily, I never had any in my bedroom. They seemed to stay in the downstairs areas. That's one of the things that really infuriated me about my father. Any normal person would have had that situation taken care of. With him? No amount of bull crap seemed to bother him. He'd never take the initiative to fix a problem.

I do think that the palmetto bug (Florida woods cockroach) is kinda pretty O_o You are a strange man, Arekino. :P

So does your house smell bad now? My mother claims that she can smell the 'roach scent' in the kitchen. I don't. And that's weird because I have superhuman senses of smell and hearing.

Oh! Before I forget yet again... Arekino, do you have any of those People of Walmart types where you live? Or is that an American and British phenomenon?


Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:03:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I have a funny story about that from a place I used to work at.

This has aroused my interest. Do tell. :)

do you have any of those People of Walmart types where you live?

Any? Well, there must surely be *some* but I never see any people like that.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Do tell. :) This is a story from the first place that I ever worked at. I was just out of high school IIRC and my friend K(who was a year older and had graduated the previous year and had returned to Canada for grade 13) was down visiting for the summer. My mother was a manager at this place so she let K come work so she could make some money while she was down. Anyway, my mother was a total psycho workaholic at this place and since we relied on her for transportation, we had a lot of down time while being held hostage between shifts or waiting around for my mother to finally finish for the day.

Now, this place was waaaaay out West on the edge of the Everglades and had a bit of a critter and bug problem. The chef had laid out rat traps one time and had caught/killed almost 100 rats in one week. We also had raccoons that got into the garbage dumpsters. Anyway, this is about the roach problem. The place had roaches big time at one point and the owners had had pest control out to spray and whatnot. Someone had put out roach motels at one point. Now this is the funny part. One time while K and I were hanging out in the kitchen, we noticed just how many roach motels were put out. They were EVERYWHERE. There were literally so many that it was comical. So we made a game out of counting how many roach motels were in the kitchen. There were literally hundreds--on the shelves, under the shelves, in the cabinets, stuck on the outside of the cabinets, stuck all over the walls, stuck on the ceiling, all around the doorways--EVERYWHERE!!! When we told our friends about it they didn't believe it so we took the famous 'count the roach motels' pic of the entrance to the kitchen. I still have that pic hanging around somewhere.

I never see any people like that. Lucky you!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I guess the owners of that place took the term "roach motel" literally. Those roaches must have been paying customers. They could check in anytime but they could never leave. :)

this place was waaaaay out West on the edge of the Everglades

So did you used to live there or did you commute?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:55:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

PS:

Lucky you!

Actually, non-conformists are often interesting people to talk to.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

So did you used to live there or did you commute? Commute. It was around a half hour from my house.

non-conformists are often interesting people to talk to. Nonconformists, yes, I suppose so. Slobs? Not so much. Have you talked to many nonconformists?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:46:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Have you talked to many nonconformists?

There are lots of non-conformists on the internet and I've had a number of colleagues who were more contrarian than was really good for them. They tended to live in a world of their own. It's not that they were simply different, they objected to any kind of rules.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

There are lots of douche-bags on the internet FIFY ;P

I think contrarianism is a sign of immaturity. That's something that is expected from adolescents. At some point, they just need to grow the hell up.

So Arekino, do you fall into any categories or are you like me, so magnificent that you defy categorization?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home