Thursday, November 15, 2012

First Installment

Okay, just to prove that I'm actually working on that little short story that I mentioned, here's what I've got so far. You'll just have to get it on an installment plan. I got the gist of the story in my head and a couple ideas written down. Now I just have to come up with the details. I guess I'll do that as I go along. It'll be one of those types of stories where you find out more and more about the characters as the story progresses.  I'm not just going to lay it all out in the first few paragraphs. ;) 

 Kasteel Raafberg Ren Fest


"Come on, Vin, I can't believe you!  They're making it free for residents this year and you still aren't going to go?" said Kat incredulously.

"Well, it's not really my kinda thing, it's more of your kinda thing," replied Vin.

"Damn straight, Vinnie baby!  If I was there you KNOW I'd be going and I'd be dragging your butt along, too!  Ya know, it wouldn't hurt you to get out some.  You'd think you'd be tired of being alone all the time.  All you ever do is go to work, the library, and for walks.  Live a little, babe!"

"I don't mind being alone.  At least no one's bothering me.  And there's nothing wrong with going to the library.  I like the library.  Lots of interesting books and DVDs to keep me busy."

"Well, that's all well and fine, Vin, but it wouldn't hurt you to get out and do something different for once."

"Okay, I'll think about it.  I'll talk to ya later then."

"Fine, Vin.  But you still need to go and then you can tell me all about it!  LOL  Alright, see ya laterz!"

:::Signs off chat:::

And that's how it was for Vincent.  He was a shy sort of guy.  Aside from his family he didn't really have many friends except for Kat, his friend from the internet.  She was a real hoot, though.  She was the sort of person who could really shake up Vincent's quiet little life if it wasn't for the fact that she lived half a world away.

Kat did sci-fi and fantasy artwork as a hobby and was quite enamored with comic-cons and renaissance festivals.  It was Kat who found the website for the Ren Fest in Vincent's town.  Hell,  Vincent lived in that town all his life and never once had he been up to the castle.  He didn't think much of it.  Only tourists went to go see that moldy old castle.  But besides the castle, there wasn't much going on in the town of Raafberg.  It was a little out of the way place.  It wasn't even along the way to anywhere.

"Maybe Kat is right,"  thought Vincent.  "I guess it wouldn't hurt to go check it out.  At least they're letting residents get in free this year.  And it's only a couple kilometers walk through the woods for me.  I wouldn't even have to bother trying to find parking up there."
*
*
*
To be continued...

3 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Well, I for one can't wait for instalment number two. Did you find inspiration for this story in something familiar to you? It has the ring of truth to it.

:)

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Did you find inspiration for this story in something familiar to you? Oh, absolutely! ;) Reality is the best place to start. Just write about what is familiar. Then I'm going to draw a bit on the movie Dummy for some quirkyness and then from some things I read in that Vampire book that I was reading(although it's not going to be a vampire story).

Well, I for one can't wait for instalment number two. Good! :) I just have to research some details. The main event, so to speak, I already have in my head. I just have to come up with some supporting details to make it interesting.

Oh, BTW, my satellite service has really been coming through with the classics this week. They played Legend, The Dark Crystal, Krull, Labyrinth, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Interview with the Vampire just to name a few. I haven't been getting much done to say the least! LOL

Friday, November 16, 2012 1:04:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

It's babysittin' time again for me this evening. Just a heads up. :)

Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home