Monday, November 12, 2012

One of my missions in life...

...is to go to this.  I'm sitting here in stunned amazement because I didn't think that that Castle could possibly get any cooler.  I swear that that right there is going on my bucket list IMMEDIATELY and I WILL be going to it in full costume some time in the future.

Anyway, here's a little poem:  

There is a knight who rides through the wood,
   And a hardy knight is he.
And sure he is on a mission sent,
   He rides so hastily.
He passes the oak, and he passes the birch,
   And he passes many a tree,
But pleasant to him was the willow so slim,
   For beneath it he did see
The bonniest lady that he ever saw,
   She with skin so fair,
And there she sat, beneath the bough,
  Combing her golden hair.
And the knight- "Oh lady bright,
   What chance has brought you here?
But say the word, and you shall go
   Back to your kindred dear."
Then up and spoke the lady fair-
   "I have no friends or kin,
But in a little boat I live,
   Amidst the waves' loud din."
Then answered thus the hardy knight-
   "I'll follow you through all,
For gone you be in a little boat,
   The world must seem so small."
They went through the wood, and still through the wood,
   To the end of the wood they came,
And when they came to the end of the wood
   They saw the salt sea foam.
And then they saw the wee, wee, boat,
   That danced on top of the wave,
And first got in the lady fair,
   And then the knight so brave,
They got into the wee, wee boat,
   And rowed with all their might;
When the knight so brave, he turned about,
   And looked at the lady bright;
He looked at her bonny cheek,
   And he looked at her two bright eyes,
Both her rosy cheeks grew ghastly pale,
   And she seemed as though she died.
The poor, poor knight grew pale with fright,
   And his hair rose up on end,
For gone-by days came to his mind,
   And his former love he kenned.
Then spake the lady- "Thou false knight,
   Hast done to me much ill,
Thou didst forsake me long ago,
   But I am constant still;
For though I live in the woods so cold,
   At rest I cannot lie
Until I suck the good life blood
   Of the man that made me die."
He saw her lips were wet with blood,
   And he saw her lifeless eyes,
And loud he cried,  "Get from my side,
   Thou vampire corpse unclean!"
But no, he is in her magic boat,
   And on the wide, wide sea;
And the vampire sucks his good life blood,
   She sucks him til he die.
So now beware, whoever you are,
   That walks in this lone wood:
Beware of that deceitful sprite,
   The ghost that sucks the blood.

7 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

Not a bad poem, considering it was written by a theoretical physicist/mathematician. I had no idea Maxwell had written poetry.

I WILL be going to it in full costume some time in the future.

And I will join you if you wish. Assuming the castle still exists by that time ;P

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Ah, the joys of the internet...I was going to award bonus points to anyone who could tell me the author but Google makes it too easy. I actually copied that out of an old book that I have but updated the spelling and translated a few of the Scottish words to make it a bit more readable, otherwise only Petrichor would understand it. I'll still award you the Googly Aptitude Award for Outstanding Search Engine Using Skillz. LOL

Anyway, after my little discovery last night and reading that old book of mine, I've *really* devised an awesome story. I think you will like it. I just have to hurry and write it out before my adult ADD kicks in!

And I will join you if you wish. Assuming the castle still exists by that time ;P I think your attendance will be mandatory. Your costume OTOH will be optional! LOL I found that website through some dude with a blog, and he just attended the last fair. He sad there were vendors selling swords and weaponry? I was under the impression that that sort of thing was frowned upon in your country, or have you been holding out on informing me of certain details, Mr. Arekino? ;P

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:54:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

I'll still award you the Googly Aptitude Award for Outstanding Search Engine Using Skillz.

Yes!!! Cool. :)

I just have to hurry and write it out before my adult ADD kicks in!

Better keep away from anything shiny then. ;P

I was under the impression that that sort of thing was frowned upon in your country

According to this wikipedia page swords are a category 4 weapon. This means you're allowed to own them but not wear them in public.
The Durch are overall not too fond of people carrying around any kind of weapons. Most people don't own any.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:10:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

BTW, what the heck keywords did you use to Google that(the poem)?

This means you're allowed to own them but not wear them in public. Ahh, okay. We have a similar law here(Florida). You can own them and do what you like in the privacy of your own home but just don't go wearing them out in public. Unless you're at a Ren-Fest or out LARPing at the local park(like my neighbor and his cousins). Then no one seems to mind. It's funny that you can't walk around with a sword but you can get a permit to walk around with a gun. Go figure.

The Durch LOL You from Chicago?

From what I saw in the internet there seems to be a lot of LARPing and Ren-Fests and such going on in your neck of the woods. Seems like a popular thing. At least y'all have the proper ambiance. Our big one down here is up at Quiet Waters Park. I've never actually gone but I've driven by it while going to work. It looked like utter madness. :)

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:32:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

what the heck keywords did you use to Google that(the poem)?

I think it was Thou vampire corpse unclean! which led me to this website giving me the title of the poem and name of the writer and then I double-checked by looking up some stuff about Maxwell.

The Durch LOL You from Chicago?

I don't see the Chicago connection. Is it an accent thing?

there seems to be a lot of LARPing and Ren-Fests and such going on in your neck of the woods.

Maybe, I don't notice much of that. It is usually mentioned on fok.nl, they show photos of it.

It looked like utter madness. :)

Well, I, for one, should fit right in then. ;P

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Is it an accent thing? Yep. Dey talk funneh up dare.

they show photos of it. More nekkid fairies at your ren-fests. Kinda like Fantasy Fest in Key West. Lots o' Nekkid.

Well, I, for one, should fit right in then. ;P Need to get ya an awesome costume then! ;P

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:48:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

BTW, my translation of that poem is WAAAAAAY better! :P At least I tried to keep the rhyming and meter intact. And for full disclosure, the poem was written by James Clerk Maxwell at the age of 14. I got it from the book The History of Vampires by Dudley Wright(not Dudley Do-right! LOL).

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home