Monday, April 07, 2008

By Request

Now then, for the doubters amongst us(you know who you are), more pictures from my yard.

This is the front entry. Very tropical, no? Palmetto in foreground, lilies, ground orchids, and bromeliads in the middle, and bamboo bringing up the rear.


This is a wide shot of the "Bromeliad Display." Also known as "How to dress up the a/c unit."


Now...for the sceptics. Here is some of the very determined multi-coloured lantana. It's starting to come back nicely after all the recent rainfall.


And here we have the fabled lavender lantana, comingled with some other shrubbery.


And finally, a close-up of the fabled lavender lantana, nestled in with a Moses-in-a Boat.

6 Comments:

Blogger FirstNations said...

is the multicolored lantana the kind that makes a low shrub? because I LOVE THAT SHRUB.
I NEED THAT SHRUB.
i can't grow that shrub.*snif*

i love your garden, in fact. gad, go link to DINAHMOW off my comments and take a look at her garden pictures. she gardens on the sunshine coast of OZ and dang....*wipes drool* just...dang.
*slinks away muttering enviously*

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:17:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Yes, it does make a low shrub, but it tends to get a little raggedy if you don't prune it back a little. It's a native species here, I didn't plant it myself(a bird shit mine out).

I'm in zone 10(?)so I can grow all sorts of things but I try to grow natives and low-maintenance plants...easier to deal with and can withstand the abuse from the weather(we go from drought to deluges).

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:01:00 PM  
Blogger FirstNations said...

all that, and ghost orchids....
*siiiiiiiiigh*
i would love to grow things like dutchmans pipe, cup and saucer vine, glory creeper, jujube, bromeliad, peacock palm, monstera....
*siiiiiiiiiiigh*

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

I actually have a "specimen" sized spider orchid that looks very much like a ghost orchid; and a bunch of other varieties. Yummy tropical fruit, too: mango, avocado, papaya, pineapple, kumquat, loquat...I'll stop now. ;)

Looks like I'll be doing a little horticulture blogging in the near future.

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

BTW, chech out Fruit and Spice Park located WAAAAAY down south in Homestead. It's the kewlest. They actually let you take samples.

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Old Knudsen said...

Butterflies love the Lantana, not that I have any of course here in cold Killamory.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 4:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home