Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bruce Lee and Mixed Martial Arts


Jeet Kune Do, the martial art system developed by Bruce Lee, is essentially mixed martial arts. Anyone who knows about Bruce Lee knows that he studied Wing Chun kung fu under the famous Yip Man, but he also studied many other diverse styles as well.

The first style Bruce was taught was Tai Chi. He learned that from his own father. Over the years as he grew, he also learned Hung pugilism, Choy lay fut, Judo, internal and external boxing, Western boxing, Shaolin kung fu, and Jit-kune. After he came to America, he compared what he knew with that of Western boxers, Karate experts, Judo experts, and Tae Kwan Do experts. He couldn't seem to get any advantage so he evaluated his own skills in order to find out his weaknesses. He concluded that the Southern Chinese kung fu styles that he had learned were lacking in soft and skillful kung fu. He immediately picked up the book "Fundamental Training on Martial Arts" by Tsai Lung-yun and began training himself. Bruce also learned escrima and nunchaku from Dan Inosanto and Tae Kwan Do from Jhoon Rhee.

Bruce recognized that all martial art styles have their strong points and weak points; therefore, no one style is better than any other style. He took all the strong points from the various styles that he learned and combined them to create Jeet Kune Do. The theory of Jeet Kune Do became "Taking no form as form; taking no way as way."

I have to wonder what Bruce Lee would think of the modern sport of MMA.

9 Comments:

Anonymous arekino said...

So what were their parents doing that made them require your services?

Oh, just going out with friends.

Mine have been disappointing since 1994.

*sigh* You're such a one upper. :)

I have to wonder what Bruce Lee would think of the modern sport of MMA.

I bet he'd have some strong opinions on the subject. Was Bruce an inspiration for you at one point?

Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:05:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

*sigh* You're such a one upper. :) LOL

Arekino, you've been holding out on me! Did you know that there's a mtn. bike course not to far from you?

I bet he'd have some strong opinions on the subject. Oh, ya got that right! I have an idea but I didn't want to "put words in his mouth" for this post. Was Bruce an inspiration for you at one point? A very big part of why I'm into martial arts. That'll have to be another post! :)

Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Did you know that there's a mtn. bike course not to far from you?

No, I didn't. You mean the one south of my town? Apparently there's also talk about building a really long new route but that's after september.

Why do you ask BTW?

Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:41:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

Why do you ask BTW? I thought it kinda curious that since you live in bicycle heaven that there weren't any mountain bike courses near you. The terrain is similar to over here, since there are no 'mountains' we have to make our own. Bike peeps are the same no matter where they live so I got curious and took a look on the intertubes and found the one on the east side of the A27...yeah, that is a bit south of your town. It looks very similar to the Oleta and Markham ones in my area. :)

Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:53:00 PM  
Anonymous arekino said...

It looks very similar to the Oleta and Markham ones in my area

Oh? Have you done some mountain biking there yourself?

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Oh? Have you done some mountain biking there yourself? Look up MTB Dorst...there are YouTubes, ya smarty pants!(I'm assuming you mean have I biked near the A27 by you. No. Oleta & Markham absolutely!) The one by you looks fun. Not too technical with a very smooth trail. The ones over here are all limestone and gravel-y and built for lots of skills.

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:49:00 AM  
Anonymous arekino said...

Oleta & Markham absolutely!

I'll freely admit to being a smarty pants but that was actually what I was asking about. :)
How often did/do you go there?

It's my dads' birthday today. He's now 70 years old with a rickety heart and he still usually has more energy than I do.

Hey, have you ever seen that HBO series "In treatment"? I just finished watching the 3rd season (library DVD). I think it's pretty good.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:42:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

I'll freely admit to being a smarty pants Good, I like smarty pants'. How often did/do you go there? Oleta probably 5 or 6 times and Markham twice. I'm gonna assume that you have "man amnesia" because I'm pretty sure I told you about that before! :)

Well I hope your dad has a happy birthday! My mother's b-day was yesterday.

have you ever seen that HBO series "In treatment"? Nope, I don't get HBO. :( I like Game of Thrones but only get to see it when there's free previews.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

I just finished watching the 3rd season (library DVD). I think it's pretty good. Really? I just read the wiki on it and it seems depressing. And I'd also have to take exception with the person who wrote the wiki...do they really think that given enough time that everything works out in the end? I've seen a LOT of examples where things didn't work out for peeps. Sorry, nothing personal, I'm just in a ranty kinda mood. ;P That, and I'm a wee bit opinionated!(I bet you couldn't tell.) LOL :::wink,wink:::

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home