Sunday, December 06, 2009

Happy Feast of Sinterklaas


Today is the Feast of Sinterklaas and yesterday was the Eve of the feast. If you are Dutch or of Dutch ancestry, you already know all this. If you are not, now you know. This is where the American Santa Claus comes from. The Dutch folks who lived up where New York is now (used to be New Amsterdam) brought the tradition to America.

Sinterklaas used to be the Archbishop of Myra but now he lives in Spain and comes to bring gifts by way of steamship to all the good Dutch children. Sinterklaas has a helper called Svarte Piet (Black Pete) who comes down the chimney to deliver the gifts or a small bundle of sticks for the baddies.

Sinter and Piet had a bit of trouble at my place this year because my fireplace is a fake one and I don't have a chimney. And also because my dog is a racist. (Inside joke!) So I had to go to the store last night to pick up some almond cookies and gingerbread cookies myself. The cookies were quite good because they were made by the elves who live in a tree, which is the proper place for elves to live, not at the North Pole, because that is a terrible place to live. You can't even get a decent tangerine up there!

If this post is bizarre it is because I've had a few too many Grolsches and am revelling in my wee bit o' Dutchness. So there.

6 Comments:

Blogger FirstNations said...

You're....

Nederlandische?

*is horrified*


I live in a heavily Dutch area of the state here. Their cute slogan is, "If you aint Dutch, you aint much!" which is awfully damnded cute. So fine. Now tell me, is it really true that Dutch men have orange weenises?

No shit; I swear to God and the Baby Jesus AND the Holy Infant of Prague, this is a prevalent urban legend around here. Dutch guys have orange dicks.


So do they?

Sunday, December 06, 2009 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

LOL I've never heard about the orange weenises thing. I wish Arekino would come around to answer that one!

Sunday, December 06, 2009 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Xul said...

And I said a bit Dutch. So I don't need Pet coming here giving me shit about the half British thing. I'm both. It's America, shit happens.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 10:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Petrichoric said...

I don't think the Dutch are the only country to have a celebration like this on December 6th. The Germans do, too, and it's called "Nikolaustag". I would also imagine that other Northern Europeans have a similar tradition.

It's also a certain person's birthday! :-)

As for the orange penises, no, Dutch men do not have them! Well, I've only ever had sex with one Dutch guy, and it wasn't orange.

And, oh, Merry Christmas! As you can perhaps guess, mine hasn't been very merry seeing as I'm blogging instead of celebrating. Oh well.

Friday, December 25, 2009 5:55:00 PM  
Blogger FirstNations said...

Well, thats kind of reassuring, I guess. Orange is a color for traffic cones, not weenises. Still, the rumor persists.

I'm given to understand that my people used to join one of several tribal 'spirit societies' around this time of year and spend weeks at a time fasting and having visions of the future. the ones not up for this kind of wackiness just slouched around eating slabs of dried salmon dipped in fermented oolichan grease. No chimneys were involved, or elves. just oolichan.

which are tiny fishies like a sardine. apparently you can use for a candle in case you ever find yourself on the beach in need of a candle. bear that in mind. Happy new year!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Maybe the dudes with the orange weenises had carotenosis. But then, they would be orange all over, not just the weenis.

The local tribe down here seems to spend this time of the year at Outdoor World buying ammo and hunting accessories. I witnessed it myself when I was having my picture taken with a certain "jolly old elf." No fish were harmed. They swam about indifferently in their tank. A stuffed reindeer looked on with sorrow.

Pet & FN: A Happy New Year to ya both!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home