Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bang Your [Fish] Head

A few weeks ago, I was so bored that I thought I might want to go to a Marlins' baseball game since I'd never been before. And since I didn't care to suffer through it alone, I decided to call Mrs. PA and see if she wanted to go (she's usually game for anything).

So I call up Mrs. PA and she mentions that the game on the 30th has Joan Jett playing a concert afterward. WHAT?!? JOAN JETT?!? Well, that was all I had to hear. I fucking LOVE Joan Jett. I might even go gay for Joan Jett (well, maybe not, but still!) It turns out that Mrs. PA couldn't go but I found someone else who wanted to go.

So I go down to the stadium and get my tickets, all happy as a lark. Then a couple of days before the big event, my friend cancels on me. Fuck! I paid for two tickets, now who am I going to get to go with me? Everyone I know was either working or going out of town and I am going to see Joan come hell or high water. But wait! What about the neighbors across the street? The religious, home schooled, shut-ins who run inside whenever they see me--ya, those neighbors.

Well, I call over there and lo and behold, the female one wants to go to the game(I made no mention of the concert, for I am truly evil, and will enjoy the forthcoming reaction).

The big day finally arrived. I said that I was going to see Joan come hell or high water, so as it turns out, I got the high water! About 2 hours before the Marlins' game was supposed to start, the biggest, nastiest thunderstorm blew in. It looked like the apocalypse. It was raining sideways and all the streets were flooded. Sorry, not good enough. I waited until it died down (about a half hour before the game started), collected Shut-in Girl, and went. I was originally going to have someone drop us off, but I decided to go ahead and pay the $10 to park so we wouldn't have to walk in the rain. Well, after we actually got there and parked, it had stopped raining. From then on, it totally cleared up and the sun came out and it never rained again all night.

The baseball game was totally boring. One good thing was it was a give-away night and I got lots of free crap--foam fish heads, Marlins' car flags, baseball cards, and a bag thingie.

The Fish started Byun-Hyung Kim as pitcher and he pitched pretty well. Then they took him out after about 6 or 7 innings and since the Marlins' bull pen has no depth, they went from winning 1-0, to being behind by 5 runs. Then in the 8th, the Marlins started a come back. I was praying that they wouldn't come back because I wanted to see Joan and I didn't want to suffer through extra innings. Luckily, they only came within one run. The Braves won 6-5.

Time for Joan! YEAH!!!!!! (Shut-in Girl had no clue who Joan Jett was--this was going to rule on so many levels.) They announced that everyone could move in closer to any empty seat so we made our way to the first base line by the dug-out and got what I thought would be pretty good seats. Then they did the fireworks (which were pretty awesome) while they set up the stage. Then they started letting people on the field down by the stage. What the Hell?!?!! I would have TOTALLY went down by the stage but it was too late by then to try to find my way down there, that and I had Shut-in Girl in tow.

Anyway, Joan and the band came out and totally rocked! They started the set off with Bad Reputation followed by Cherry Bomb. Then, when they started in with Do You Wanna Touch Me, Joan wanted audience participation. It was fucking ace to see Shut-in Girl singing, "Yeah, oh yeah!" along with Crimson and Clover and I Love Rock N Roll. "I know this one!" says Shut-in. Really?!? This was so totally ruling. Joan and the band did a couple new songs, The Mary Tyler Moore Theme, and I believe finished it off with I Hate Myself For Loving You.

Totally. Fucking. Ruled.

And I must say, Joan looked so good. She doesn't look her age AT ALL. They totally kicked ass. They did about a 45 minute set and sounded totally awesome! If I ever get a chance to see her again in a smaller venue like The Culture Room, I am SO going. Great live show.

Even Shut-in Girl had a good time.

I love corrupting religious folk.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fat Sparrow said...

"I love corrupting religious folk."

They're all secretly kinky and are just dying to let it out, don't you know.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 6:30:00 AM  
Blogger Xul said...

Just thinking of that particular one being kinky will make me have to bleach my mind's eye. *shudders uncontrollably*

Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home